Bad front Bearing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad front Bearing?

GarandOwner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi All, I am new to the forum here. I did a search and read through some old threads to try and narrow down the issue I am having with my 03' Explorer XLT. From what I read I think I have a front end bearing that has gone bad. Here are the symptoms:

At higher speeds (+45mph) I get a vibration in the front end. It can be felt in the steering wheel It gets worse when I slightly turn the wheel. The frequency is very high, it reminds me of the vibration of a sonic toothbrush. It also sounds similar to the "vibration" of swamper tires. The old tires I had on the Explorer were in need of replacing, so I put on new tires, had them balanced and had an alignment, and this did not fix the problem. After reading a few threads on here it sounds like I have a bad front bearing on one side.

Does this sound like a bad bearing or should I be looking into something else?

To check the bearings jack up the suspected side where the tire is off the ground, put your hands at the 12 o clock and the 6 o clock position and see if you have play ... If there is play it is the bearing/hub... If no play then put your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and check for play... If you have play there it is your tie rods...

Hope this helps

Back