• Register Today It's free!

92 OHV to 98 SOHC ENGINE.

javiscancino

Reaction score
City, State
SAN YSIDRIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 FORD EXPLORER
our ford explorer was build for off road racing, we race in CLASS 3 from SCORE-INTERNATIONAL, and sometimes class 7s with CODE, RECORD or ESSOR,.
our team is called CHUPAKABRAS RACING TEAM,.
we used to ran with a 92 4.0 ohv engine, it was a stock engine, very reliable until the heads blown off, so we decided to go to a 4.0 sohc engine,. we really needed more hp and torque, so we went for it. i did some research before we bought that engine to know on what we were getting into, we had the ohv with a FORD C4 transmission, to be able to use the sohc you just need to modify the flywheel, engine mounts are the same, fuel lines also, custom made power steering lines, also the exhaust was done,. and the easiest part the electrical wiring,. we bought the engine on a junkyard with wiring and ecu, i eliminate everything but the neccesary wires that goes to the engine,. that was easy, the only problem was the ford PATS,. or passive antitheft system,. it end up that our ecu didn't work with the chip used to reprogram the ecu, got the good one and ready to rock and roll,.
4.0 OHV
DSCN2380.jpg

4.0 SOHC
DSC_0641-1.jpg

this video was from last night, we just finish the wiring and everything went ok.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD2vPqTBDVI

this was from a previews race
ch.jpg

DSCN2090.jpg

we will do some testing this weekend to se how it performs with this engine,. till then,. see yahh.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:Dawsome:D

i need to mod my fenders so they come off. that would reduce the amount of blood and cussing when i worm on mine.:mad:

Team Chupakabras FTW!

That is awesome...

I think that is the First COMPLETED Explorer Based "dedicated" Race Vehicle I have ever seen....On or Off-Road

Truely AWESOME!

Ryan

thats the best race explorer i have seen so far

thks for the cheers,. i'm posting more pics of our explorer from previews races,. we are really looking forward to compete again in 8 days, will let you know how it goes for us,. thks again.

l_e227a4e7f49749c519dae1799b54730d.jpg

Cancino4346.jpg

Cancino4348.jpg

DSC_0046-1.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

final.jpg

050a1a53.jpg

9ff7b85e.jpg

15afe4bc.jpg

I think that is the First COMPLETED Explorer Based "dedicated" Race Vehicle I have ever seen....On or Off-Road

hmmmm ever heard of Mcneil?
Explorer's have been racing off road since 1991!!!

Very nice truck, it looks like a blast

thanks for sharing!!

Were you guys at the last Battle at Primm?

Were you guys at the last Battle at Primm?

wish we were, but nop, not yet, we haven't raced there, we've been racing with SCORE-INTERNATIONAL since 1998 but we started on a bronco 2, then we jump to this ford explorer in 2003, this is a class 3 vehicle, this is class is limited to 4x4 suvs with wheelbase no longer than 106", that's why is a 2 door ford exp.. the 4 door is not allowed on this class, so, primm 300 is one of the 5 races held by score-international, we have done only the races done in baja,.

class 3 is more like a stock class, they allowed us to have coilovers in the front only, we have to keep the leaf springs on the rear, but with these LONG TRAVEL LEAF SPRINGS from DEAVERS, you can have like 16" of wheel travel, thats a lot for this kind of truck.

mcneil have build many explorers but most of them are prerunners, he just build a explorer sport truck but he had a huge accident while prerunning for the last baja 1000, he already rebuilt it, but still im not sure if he use it to race or just as prerunner,

410...I have heard of McNeil...I have seen their Yellow Explorer....but wasn't aware that they actually RACED that truck....I'm more of a street guy...remember!?!?!

I still like the look of this Sport.

Ryan

oh man I am an offroad guy buit I also am obsessed so I always check out the street trucks too

Mcneils sport track was nice, it was a huge accident, I am glad they are okay considering what the sport trac went through, glad to hear ts back up and running.
Its basically a Ranger with a Trac cab and bed from what I have seen, wicked nice...

Love this explorer, very well done! Good luck in Score!!

finally, first test drive for our ford explorer, oh man,. this sohc engine is amazing,. i still can not believe it,. only modifications done are on the ecu,. well, still there it still needs to be fine tune, but so far i love it,. we are running that engine in front of a ford c4 tranny full manual with a ford 8.8 posi slip with 4.56 gears and 33" tires, right now the engine is set up to get the most out of it from 3000 rpms to 6500, i don't know but my hand want it to shift at 4000rpm like we were used to with the old ohv engine, with this engine that was the bigining of true power, from 3000 to 6500 that thing revs awsome and the power that you feel is unbeliavable, i was amazed, i felt like 5000 rpms was the place to be, awsome hp and sound easy on the engine, now i know what "WOT" means, haha, the in car camera wasn't ready yet, hopefully for the next weekend or next test drive it will be ready so you can see what that engine does,. here are some pics,.

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

Beautiful terrain you have there!

Absolutely AWESOME!

Is that a 95-97 rear shell/body?

Ryan

Absolutely AWESOME!

Is that a 95-97 rear shell/body?

Ryan

the chassis is from a 92 explorer, the whole front is fiberglass as well as the the rear fenders, and im pretty sure that it resambles the 92 to 94 or 95 front, is the square or rectangle shape front as you can see ont his pic, the 97 is kind of round right?
DSC_0198.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

after looking again...I see how I thought the shell was from a `97.

If you look at the 3rd picture posted in this thread. The one with 'Bink Designs' in the corner. The rear tail light looks to have a curve in the body, but the tail light is straight. THAT is what a 1st Gen taillight looks like, when installed in a 2nd Gen body. But upon further investigation, that countour is only there due to the seam where the fiberglass fender flare meets the steel body at the rear tail light.

Ryan

Back