Bad Idle in P / N not in D / R

Brandon96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV
My truck won't hold a steady idle, it seems to rapidly change from 750ish RPMs to 830-850 RPMs and lopes every 15 seconds or so. It really seems like it's trying to steady the idle but only gets a constant RPM going for 2 maybe 3 seconds at completely random intervals. It's nothing bad like it wants to stall or actually revvs, it's just annoying now that I have Flowmaster Duals ;) It all disappears when I put the truck in Drive or Reverse and it never lopes or idles funny when I let off the gas or sit at intersections.

My plugs/wires are good, PCV is new, I unplugged the MAF, cleaned the IAC/DPFE, no vacuum leaks but has new intake/EGR rings, Lucas' injector cleaner and SeaFoam seem to smooth out the vibrations, but still won't correct the idle.

Does anyone have any suggestions or something I can try? I'm curious as to how well an IAC valve can handle 155k miles :scratch:

Got an Autozone IAC valve today, didn't help the idle so I took it back and picked up some plugs because I could.

I have also noticed some serious drag and surging when the A/C is on or I've got her defrosting.

Any Ideas?

Back