Bad noise/abs problem 2002 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad noise/abs problem 2002 Explorer Sport

GaryR13G

Reaction score
City, State
New Tripoli PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Manual Trans
Hey guys, I just bought a 2002 Explorer Sport(4x4) about a week ago, and I'm having some issues. I don't know if these two are related and I was hoping you could help me. The ABS problem is at slow speed it pushes back against my foot, I read about the fixes for that. The other problem is intermittent. Sometimes I get a squealing noise from the front left wheel well area. At higher speeds it squeals, and at lower speeds it was making what can best be described as a "crunching/banging" noise, but it again is completely intermittent. When I was on the highway this morning I started hearing the squealing noise, and the ABS light came on. I was not using the brakes at the time the squealing started, and I was not using the brakes when it makes the crunching/banging noise. It seems that at slower speeds the noise may be affected by turning the steering wheel, but I am not sure.

Anyone had this problem before, and can help me out?

Thanks,
Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, backing up and turning the wheel to the right seems to really bind up what ever is failing.

Any ideas?

I would suggest jacking the truck up and getting that front wheel off to take a look. It could be a number of things. Axle, front diff. wheel bearing.
It does sound like you do have 2 different issues going on. One might be aggravating the other, most likely the louder crunch banging noise is a real problem.

Happens in both 4wd and 2wd. I will be jacking it up in about an hour to see if I can determine anything. No tools at the moment though.

Hey guys, I just bought a 2002 Explorer Sport(4x4) about a week ago, and I'm having some issues. I don't know if these two are related and I was hoping you could help me. The ABS problem is at slow speed it pushes back against my foot, I read about the fixes for that. The other problem is intermittent. Sometimes I get a squealing noise from the front left wheel well area. At higher speeds it squeals, and at lower speeds it was making what can best be described as a "crunching/banging" noise, but it again is completely intermittent. When I was on the highway this morning I started hearing the squealing noise, and the ABS light came on. I was not using the brakes at the time the squealing started, and I was not using the brakes when it makes the crunching/banging noise. It seems that at slower speeds the noise may be affected by turning the steering wheel, but I am not sure.

Anyone had this problem before, and can help me out?

Thanks,
Gary

The wheel bearing contains the ABS sensor and can be a source of noise. They also have a habit of failing. Like others said, jack the truck up and and spin the wheel, see if you have any binding or roughness. A bad ABS sensor or ring in the bearing will make the light go on/falsely trigger ABS.

I can wiggle the wheel... I'm guessing it's the bearing. Is this a "hub bearing" or a "wheel bearing." What is the difference, between the two if someone could explain it to me?

Thanks,
Gary

Thanks, I was confused because you said wheel bearing, and on Rockauto they call it the Hub assembly. I guess the hub assembly contains the wheel bearing? We've had my buddy's 01x that far apart before, so it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the info.

Thanks, I was confused because you said wheel bearing, and on Rockauto they call it the Hub assembly. I guess the hub assembly contains the wheel bearing? We've had my buddy's 01x that far apart before, so it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the info.

My bad - Yes, I used "wheel bearing" to refer to the entire hub assembly. It is a non serviceable assembly and you must replace the unit.

Good Luck!

Looks like I may be able to get the car dealer to pay for the repair at Midas.

I'll take that option if it is available.

Alright, I'm fixing it myself, and the dealer is going to pay me! Score for that. I got a Timken hub assembly. Are they good? It's just what my local parts store had in stock.

-Gary

Back