• Register Today It's free!

Bad smell inside cab

Loren R

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV and volunteer at: GRSM, GRCA, ZION, GRTE and YOSE
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Sport Trac Limited V8
For the past two weeks, our ST has been getting a strange odor while driving. This week, it became apparent that the cab smells like very dirty tennis shoes. Keeps getting stronger and stronger every day. We have searched the interior twice and found nothing amiss. I was thinking there may be some water issue, but we are in AZ with 10% humidity and no rain for the past month. Today, it got pretty warm, so I kicked on the A/C, and noticed that the smell pretty much disappeared in a few minutes. I turned off the A/C, and the smell returned just as strongly as before.

I've stuck my nose in all the duct areas, and can't detect the smell anywhere when we're stopped. But as soon as we start moving, the smell comes back again. Driving us nuts..... Anyone have any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look underneath and see if you ran over a plastic bag that got stuck on the exhaust. They take weeks to burn off and stink bad.

If you have had any rain at all the third brake lights have been known to leak. Your odor may be in the headliner.

Thanks for the suggestions.. No plastic bag, and no sign of leakage in the headliner either... I checked both the rear near the 3rd brakelight, and all around the sun roof too.

Still seems to be caused by warmth, I noted it again today and it pretty much went away when I turned on the A/C. I'm thinking it has to be something in the heating/cooling ducts. I'll keep looking!

Still seems to be caused by warmth, I noted it again today and it pretty much went away when I turned on the A/C. I'm thinking it has to be something in the heating/cooling ducts. I'll keep looking!

Hi Loren, thanks for the pdf you sent.

Make sure the HVAC drains are not clogged. Does it still go away if you place your selector to MAX A/C, which is actually recirculate?

TSB
08-17-5 WATER LEAK - DRIVER SIDE FLOORBOARD DURING RIGHT HAND TURNS OR AFTER EXTENDED DRIVING WITH A/C ON - VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 7/21/2008

Cat prints on your truck? They'll whizzz down your cowl vent in a flash. Flush the cowl vent and/or pour diluted Clorox into it. If it's mildew in your heater box it's a bit more challenging to get it cleaned up.

The drains in the doors may be blocked, any water in the door will mildew and add moisture in the cab. Take a coat hanger and apply thru the holes in the bottom of the door.

Loren,

This is a very common issue on some of the vehicles we work on..
Generally what happens is moisture forms in the A/C & Heater box
and starts to grow mold inside the cabin. We have the kits made
by a company called Wynn's. It's a two can system, one kills the
moisture and mold and the other can is a freshener.

Part # is 10054KT
Air Conditioning Kit.

Here is a link to description and the professional machine kit
that you would not need with the above kit I mentioned. This
is a DO IT YOURSELF job.

http://www.wynnsusa.com/pdf/spec-sheet_AircomaticII.pdf

Also, as other mentioned... You do need to verify the A/C drains are clear
from the interior..

Back