• Register Today It's free!

Bad smell!!!!!

Nick K

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport 4X4
Any one else have this promblem, when you have your windows up and ac on, about 95 out side you get a anti freeze smell coming in from the vents. But I can't find any leaks in the system. Could it be the cap, or heater core

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very common problem. Your heater core is clogged, or old, or damaged. Time for a new one, like$20 lifetime warranty at Checker. A snap to replace on an Explorer.

Also a perfect time for a cooling system flush and new thermostat.

Good luck! Oh and check under the carpet, below your dash, and the pass side floorboard for moisture, a sure sign of a leaking heater core........

I'm on my 4th heater core. Do yourself a favor and "test" the new one prior to installation, just flow some water through it and make sure there are no leaks or broken braze welds on there, they dont always rebuild em good....

but if a crack was present it would be leaking inside the truck. I dont have any stains

a small leak is hard to find, and it doesnt really stain.

The only place that antifreeze can make it into your vents is through the heater core, unless you are pouring it into your cowl....

Well I just got the heater core cover off and Im looking up and it looks clean and shiny. No residue on the bottom cover or on the fins of the heater core.????????????????????

no smell coming from the core

Okay then it could be that what you are smelling is not coolant, but A/C refrigerant. There is a piece of the A/C system inside the heater box itself, they are known to leak,it looks like a little radiator, and I cant remember the name of it....sounds like that might be your culprit right there........
Get ready for some fun replacing that! whole heater box has to come out and the A/C has to be discharged/recharged....

You can have them leak tested for about $5 once it's out...

Ask Joe Dietz on this board all about it, he just did his.....

Oh and this thing wont show up on any A/C leak?dye tests either since it;s enclosed in the box....

let me look in the shop manual.......
be back

Im back I just got a new cap at napa. see if this works

Back