• Register Today It's free!

Bad torque converter

jghake

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1983 F250 HD 4x4
Hey guys! I just bought an 03 XLT. After the purchase/test drive I noticed some isues with the transmission. It seems to shudder/shift hard going from 3-4 and 4-5. It is really bad downshifting from 5-4 and 4-3 when going uphill. It almost feels like the whole truck is shuddering. Shifts seem to stay in neutral for longer than anticipated then slam hard into gear.

I found something in the glove box after all of this that says "torque converter needs replaced due to shudder. Customer says he knows about it and its been there for a long time"

Does it look like I need a new torque converter or could it be the PCM upgrade that I need. I asked the dealer about the PCM upgrade and he told me to "stay off forums" and they just "cause dealers problems with customers self diganosing and creating problems that aren't there"

If its a new torque converter I can do it myself as I have a 4 post lift. If its the PCM issue I would like to go to larger tires so I was thinking a SCT tune from Henson would be my answer...

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oddly enough if I drive it "nice" it acts up more. The more aggressive I am with the pedal the less I see problems.

Here is a video of what it does when shifting... If you notice at about 5k RPM when it shifts it shudders.

I really hope this is something I can fix easily...

I have the EXACT same problems. Floor it hard and it shifts flawlessly and the shudder. Exact same symptoms, general consensus is torque converter..Are you going to replace yours anytime soon?

Money has been tight lately, but I plan on replacing the torque converter (assuming everyone here says that is where I should start) as soon as I have the extra money.

I feel you on the tight money, Im putting transmission additive in it and hopefully itll hold up for alittle while longer.

Have you posted a thread about this already? I know it's only been a few hours but I was hoping for more replies than this.

Yeah I did its called "Transmission fix? (02)" I described all the same symptoms as you and I was advised its a torque converter.

Did your fluid look dark or burnt at all i am having the same issue and trying to figure out if its the torque converter.

No my fluid was normal. You can't check it easily though. Stupid closed system...

Back