• Register Today It's free!

ball joint question

sandcaster

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4x4
My ball joints are shot and I want to replace them. The trouble is the book I use (Haynes Repair Manual Ford Explorer 91> 01 ) says that I need to replace the whole control arm top and bottom and the guy at my parts place says only the top control arm needs to be replaced... does anyone out there know which is right.... how hard is ball joint replacement on a 4x4 ... I've replaced my steering rack about a year ago... can a person of moderate skills do a ball joint replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, welcome to the site!! Also, we offer a great search feature at the top that will help solve any questions you might have.

As far as your ball joints. Yes, you need to replace the whole control arm on the uppers. You don't necessarily need to replace all of them (uppers and lowers) at the same time, just the ones that are bad. From what i hear the uppers are a little bit easier to do, but have the brake lines to worry about on the drivers side. The lowers are a little bit more difficult (though cheaper by alot) because you are actually replacing the ball joint, and have to work w/ that and use a press to get them in and out. 4x4 makes it a little more difficult because you have a few more things to work around. That's about it...

Yes they can! you will have to press out the lower bjoints with press tool that you can borrow from autozone. On a 4x4 you have to move the cv joint out of the way.

You guys are awesome... Thanks for your help!

Back