• Register Today It's free!

Ball joint question

clvineyard

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo ohio :(
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
1993 x ok so i noticed my front wheels leaning and i hear this real nasty pop. So i took it to tireman just to see what it was. Boy was i in for it. it was radius arm bushings left and right, which i found threads on that i think i can handle that. Both front and rear shocks are blown out. i think i can do that too. but it's the front axle u joints, and the upper and lower ball joints are gonna be the problem.

i have searched and cannot find like a step by step of doing the ball joints. or the axle u joints. I have done the front brakes on this truck before, so i know how to dissasemble the hub and everything. but after the hub is off im tottaly confused what to do next. any help would be great because they quoted me 997.44 to do it all and parts ony added up to 265 lol so yeah any help would be great

I did ball joints using Chilton's/Haynes manuals as my reference and things worked out just fine. I would first suggest you get one of those references (Autozone has an electronic version of Chiltons on their website), then, if you have specific questions about the procedure, post them here. follow the insturction for the Dana 35 TTB suspension, and don't let anyone try to tell you that you might have something different under there.

The procedure for pulling the axleshafts (except passenger stub shaft) is part of the procedure for getting to the ball joints. I think its DeRocha who has a link in his signature that describes how to change u-joints once the shafts are out. He also might have some good information floating around here about ball joint removal.

I just did the ball joints a couple weeks ago. You can do the u joints all at the same time. Take the hubs off and all the way to taking the roder all the way off. then you need to take the spindle off(carefull if you have an ABS sensor). take the steering nuckle off(camber caster bushing comes out too). Make sure before the steering nuckle is off you took the tierods off the steering nuckles. Before you take the steering nuckle off pull out the axleshafts(u joints). now that the steering nuckle is out use the balljoint press to push the ball joints out(rented one at autozone and look in a hynes manual for instructions on using the press). Once you get the balljoints out press the new ones in after they have been in the freezer for a couple of hours. Put everything back together as it all came out. Once you get going its not that bad of a project. Use the balljoints with zert fittings so you can relube (moog). If you need more help just ask.

Back