• Register Today It's free!

Upper Ball Joint question

Dave_H

Reaction score
City, State
Frederick, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
So I have read the Sticky on how to change out the front upper ball joint and was getting ready to order a set for my 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 XLT. Both the parts supplier and Ford are warning me that since I have the original ball joint and control arm are in my explorer that I will break my control arm when pressing the original ball joint out of the control arm.

What are your comments? Buy a new control arm with the ball joint already installed. or Just follow the sticky...should be OK.

Thank you,
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pressing in the new ball joints is just a little more time consuming then if you used new control arms. Likewise, going with the new control arms would be more expensive....

Agreed. I've done it myself on both uppers and had no issue at all. Sounds like Ford might just be interested in selling you a replacement part you don't need.

No problems installing ball joints

You guys were right. I purchased some raybestos ball joints (looked exactly the same as moog, must have been rebranded.). Friend who really knows what he is doing had the right tool for the job and was able to press them out while I pulled up on the control arm. Old pressed out, new pressed in without a problem. Also installed new struts all the way around and new ebrake pads/springs/adjuster in the back.

Back