Balljoints/Tie Rod Ends/Camber Adjusters Installed Today | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Balljoints/Tie Rod Ends/Camber Adjusters Installed Today

etc

Dead Inside
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2WD
Just put in me new balljoins/tie rod ends/camber adjusters today with the help of my dad. Took longer than it should have, about 8/9 hrs with a couple of breaks and not knowing how to use a tool durrrr. Everything came out good.

Moog Balljoints = $315.00
Perfect Circle Tie Rod Ends = $50.00
Eccentric Camber Adjuster Kit(Napa Chassis) = $50.00
Balljoint Press = $0 (100 Loan from Autozone)
Tie rod Puller = $0 ($20 Loan from Autozone)
Torque Wrench = 0 (100 Loan from Autozone)
Breaker Bar = Some pipe we had lying around
Using wrong cup size on ball joint press = Priceless

I used the write up that Harry5150 has:
http://www.haroh.com/explorer/ball_joint.html.

A couple of side notes on that though. For those that havent dismantled the brake system, we couldn't use the tie rod end puller because there is a shield behind the brake rotor that doesnt let the puller get in, so we just hammered out the tie rod end. Same with the lower ball joint, we couldn't get the 2 arm puller to latch on, so in comes the hammer.

Removing the stock camber adjusters was a pain in the ass, because of a couple of brake lines. One clip had to be removed to flex the line a little bit on the drivers side.

Doing the passenger side took considerably less effort seeing as we just did the the other side. We pretty much guessed on where the adjusters go, the wheels seem pretty aligned, a very slight pull to the right. An alignment is coming next weekend, when the ex gets lowered. It wasn't done today, because amazing enough, I couldn't find one inch lowering blocks.

I want to thank everybody on the board for all the information there is on here.

I started out replacing a broken end link on the ex. When I did that, I jacked the ex up because I didn't know how the suspension worked. haha . Now I have plans to change the entire brake system/exhaust. I'm also planning on getting an sohc engine to rebuild/overhaul to get some practice and because I'm afraid the ohv on my ex is gonna go soon :( .

Back