Basic troubleshooting information available? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Basic troubleshooting information available?

Ernie Dirtbikerman

Reaction score
City, State
Moses Lake, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT
Evidently everything is Top Secret on the new 2020+ Explorers, can't find any useful wiring diagrams to help me troubleshoot a small issue with the horn. My wife enjoys burning Karma points and using the horn at inappropriate times to alleviate boredom, passing a golf course, farmer working on fence, old lady getting mail, etc, etc... So the horn has gone from a robust truck-like tone to something you'd expect on a smartcar or scooter. We've got an appointment lined up with the dealer but they're over an hour drive from us in a couple of weeks from now. If I could find something simple before then it might save a trip, loose connector, fuse, relay, foreign object in horn... I can't find which fuse it is even by the owners manual?! Everything is covered with trim panels so I don't know the location of the horn to even start there. HELP!!

I'm an Industrial Manufacturing Machinery Electrician for over 20 years now who works on multi-million dollar equipment regularly so maybe I've been spoiled having this kind of information easily available to troubleshoot? ;)

I would check and listen if both horns are working. Maybe one of them died. If they are both working disconnect one at a time to see if one of them has a bad tone. The horn itself could have went bad.

On the 5th gen., the horns were located right near the hood latch but I believe on the 6th gen they were moved. Not sure where.

Peter

I added an air horn to my Mustang, started the process on the Escape, but never finished it. The Explorer's horn is robust enough, but I may add the horn just so the money isn't wasted. Has anyone located the stock horns on the G6? All I need to do is tap the lead that sounds the horn, power a relay off that and the battery

Back