Battery/Starting Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery/Starting Problem

vhariable

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer V6 and just recently started to have intermittent issues where the truck would not turn over when I tried to start it. It would usually start after a few tries. Now it is not starting at all. I took my battery in to Autozone and they said it was bad so I bought a new battery. The problem is still happening with the new battery.

The "Check Gauge" and the battery lights are both displayed when I try to start the truck. Also, when I turn the key it sounds like it has sufficient battery strength, just isn't turning over. The volt gauge shows towards the low end when I just turn the key to the on position, before trying to actually start the ignition.

I am still trying to find my misplaced voltage meter. I replaced the spark plugs and wires about 2.5 years ago. So I am guessing it is either the starter, core, or alternator? Any suggestions on how to test these with the truck not running?

Thank you!

Todd

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer V6 and just recently started to have intermittent issues where the truck would not turn over when I tried to start it. It would usually start after a few tries. Now it is not starting at all. I took my battery in to Autozone and they said it was bad so I bought a new battery. The problem is still happening with the new battery.

The "Check Gauge" and the battery lights are both displayed when I try to start the truck. Also, when I turn the key it sounds like it has sufficient battery strength, just isn't turning over. The volt gauge shows towards the low end when I just turn the key to the on position, before trying to actually start the ignition.

I am still trying to find my misplaced voltage meter. I replaced the spark plugs and wires about 2.5 years ago. So I am guessing it is either the starter, core, or alternator? Any suggestions on how to test these with the truck not running?

Thank you!

Todd

If memory serves me, the '96 still had a fender-mounted starting solenoid? It could be the source of an intermittent-start problem; new one is only a minor cost factor. I would try that first, as it is not expensive, and is easy to access.

A badly worn/burned commutator within the starter motor itself CAN be an irritating source of intermittent trouble, as can burned contacts in the starter-solenoid which is mounted directly on the starter itself. This last item can be checked using an ohmmeter, but once the time and effort is expended in removing the starter, my approach would be to simply replace the starter/solenoid assembly entirely, especially if high-miles are present. imp

Make sure the battery cables aren't corroded. They can corrode from the inside out so they may look OK on first inspection.

Maybe the alternator is not charging the battery enough.. Did it start and work correctly for the first couple of days after you bought the battery, then go back to the initial problem?

Back