Battery Terminals ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Terminals ???

Torqueranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer 5.0l
I know this is a newbie question .. But years ago I used aftermarket car audio battery terminals but I had a hard time keeping them because more often than not there would be corrosion between the post and battery terminal and casue it not to start .. I went back to the old school battery terminal.. But I was thinking about using the RV style of battery terminal but was not sure how strong it was going to be .. I found the same style but instead of lead you could get brass or some cast metal or some style of military terminals.. So what do you guys use or like ???

Here is what I got now
558994bw_silo.jpg

Here is some ideas
NOCO TZKIT3 Lead-Free Military Grade Zinc Battery Terminal Kit
71RbKHABwcL._SL1500_.jpg

$T2eC16d,!zEFIe9W4c8bBSNipb(mdg~~60_57.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any will work. I got gold plated positive one because gold is the best for electricity and also because of 0guage wire I got hooked up to it for my amp

On another forum I visit, members are having good luck using brass marine terminals. Most replace the wingnut with a stainless lock washer and a stainless nut.

IMG_1510.jpg

They corrode because there is either excessive charging causing outgassing of acid vapor or because there is a leak somewhere, a crack or the post seal is compromised by over torquing it.

Gold plating should help. The colorful epoxy coated ones will keep the outside looking pretty but provide less sacrificial metal so the contact actually corrodes as much if not more. You can coat them in vasoline to seal them off, or put caps over them, but if the post itself is where the leak is then you're going to keep having the problem unless you replace the battery or manage to reseal it with wax or epoxy or whatever.

I've even heard of people gluing pennies close to the terminals to provide sacrificial metal to react away some of the acid vapor.

I just ordered a set of the military style :salute: for my Ranger from the local auto parts store, prices seem to vary by brand from $5 to $10 each. The cheapest ones I found were made by PICO, just under 5 dollars each.

1425664709_zpsebcce058.jpg

jlxbbtu_med.jpg

I have had these JL Audio Battery terminals for over 2.5 years with no issue.

Those JL terminal look really slick, but more money than I am willing to spend on a battery terminal. BrooklynBay I agree an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
My personal observation over the years with many vehicles, is that if you have bad corrosion problems it is a sign of a poor connection. For example if your positive terminal on your battery develops corrosion but there is less on the negative then check all your grounds, chances are that one somewhere is not making a good contact. Can't explain why, but it always seems to work for me, perhaps someone here with more electrical knowledge can explain it or maybe its just a coincidence. Either way its something that I have observed over the years and its never let me down.

Make sure that you use an anti oxidant cream to prevent corrosion.

Other than having baking powder over the posts, using a dielectric grease generously, I have had good luck with both, I think reason for the corrosion build up is from types of metal with the acid release from charging

Goid luck

Most people don't realize, the corrosion on battery terminals is from the battery itself. If it's constantly corroding, the battery is releasing an excessive amount of gas.
I have never had a problem with a corroded terminal. Never have I put any grease on them or sprayed them with any type of cleaner. The quality of your battery plays a big role in this.

^ Agree. Usually not an issue with sealed type batteries. AGM, etc.

Back