Gofast

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McKinney, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
76 Bronco
Well BBR ( Bumpers by Rob ) is in business. So far if you want an ugly bumper that's failry cheap call me.

On the serious side, ( Yes I try to get there ) I'm planning on building my bumpers this week. I need to cover some ugly gaps in the front & Back after the Body Lift.

I would like some opinions on what features I should include.

The plan so far is to start with 8 X 8 box tube 1/4 " thick.

I plan to angle the back side of this to help slide of of rocks, so there would be roughly a 45 angle starting 4" down the back of the bumper.

I plan to center my reciever hitch just above this angle, which puts it just about 2" above a line drwan between the frame rails. I plan to have a nice covered pigtail for my trailer mounted in the bumper so I don't have to worry about mud.

Tow hooks will be mounted so that they pull directly from the frame. Not sure yet how I'm going to do this part.

The bumper will actually mount to a 3 X 4 1/2" angle iron that is bolted in 4 spots to the frame.

Later I'll add the swinging tire carrier,gerry cans etc.

What am I missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gofast,

Do you really mean 8" x 8" square tubing? That sounds to me to be awful heavy. I think 4 x 4 would be sufficient.

BTW - was it you who wanted the Autometer part number for the gauge pod?

Yes, Yes, Yes

Scott,

Yes, on the Autometer part #. I want to mount tranny temp gauge and who know what else in it.

Yes, 8 X 8 size. The stock bumper is almost 7 X 7 anyway.
I realise it will add weight. I was wanting to open the top of it up and add storage compartments. Also use it as a step to get to the roof rack.

The frame rails are almost 4 1/2 " tall and I'm adding a 3" gap on top of that. Iwas afraid the bumper would look way to big, but after I measured the stock one I think this will be close. I wish I could post the drawings I made.

why can't you post it? im having a hard time trying to picture it. and quite possibly, i will want one. do you need web space, or just a scanner?

Probable either would work. No web space yet & no scanner.
I can send you the MS Paint version if you e-mail me at

Rob_Robertson@pagenet.com

I can't attach files or copy drawings when posting here.

Hey Rob, Did you ever put the photos of my drop on your computer? I would like a copy of that if you could? Thanks, I was just thinking about that.

Hey Rob,
I don't know if you noticed the bottom of Paul B's bumper, but it has these 1/2" thick rounded pieces welded to the bottom of his bumper. What they do is this is what the rocks hit against and not the actual bottom of the bumper. They take all the brunt of whatever tries to dammage the bumper. There are about 5 or 6 of them across the entire bumper. That might be a good thing to put on your bumper. They stick down about 1/2" . Less surface area to drag across something. Just a thought.

Sinjin, Don't worry about it. Put the gas money towards lights? See the new thread under lifts.

Trckmagik, I'll get the pictures e-mailed to you soon. Havn't had a chance to download them yet. Busy on the truck, and son's baseball, and the wife's todo list.

BTW, Read in another post you wern't feeling our love because you were 2 wheel drive... Hey, I'll help you anywhere we go, but keep in mind it did a lot of damage to your truck last time we tried it. ( Borla exhaust & popped a coil loose ) Hate to see you mess up such a nice lookin truck. Maybe get a cheap 4X4 to thrash?

Ray, Good Idea. I'm moving my tow hitch and that's what protects me now. I was also thinking about some Moab Rollers but was worried about them dropping to fast off of a ledge.

Thanks Rob

Back