Beat a Grand Cherokee | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Beat a Grand Cherokee

I pulled up to a stoplight yesterday night and a grand cherokee pulls up next to me, the light turns green and I accelarate quickly off the line thinking nothing of it. Then I look next to me and see his headlights out of my passenger window so I floor it to about 4000 rpms and he keeps up with me but eventually he slowed down and I kept going to the next light but I had him beat the whole time. I was pretty excited about it and I can't wait to take on some ricers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by explorer4x493
Alright guys first of all almost all GC's could beat an EX. Even i have a 5.0 Ex. and it's nothing compared to my friends 5.9 GC. Although he's never been able to "smoke all four tires". Maybe it's just that he's got all terrain tires. Even if he had some street tires i doubt he could do that w/out some mods.
thats not true my friend has a '02 limited with the I6 and when i drove it i could tell the suprising lack of power that thing has, he couldnt beat my truck on a good day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The new jeeps are pumping out crazy amounts of torque. I think they almost have as much torque as that big 5.9 back in 98?
Jason

by saying new jeeps, i think your talking about the v8 in general they do not have as much torque as the 5.9, the 4.7HO they put in the 02 overlands has even more hp and the same torque as a 5.9 but they still run slower then the 5.9, i dunno why but i have beat a cuple so far. the last year of the gc body style they go all out and throw in an awesome engine like in 98 (the only year with the 5.9) wait untill 2004 that is the last year of the jeep body style right now they will have a surprise for us then in their engine choice for the last body style year probably a 5.3 Hemi.

Displacement Vs. Displacement

My fiance's '96 GCL 4.0 straight 6 will whip up on my '95 XEB 4.0 V6 any day of the week! But you can definately tell the weight difference between the vehicles.

Robb

That's what I said man. The I6 IS faster than the Ex. 4.0. :bounce:

haha the GC in 04 may go to IFS! :D so much for GC off-road! my friend has a list of all the future jeep upgrades and theres not new engine except for Heep isnt gonna make the I6 4.0 anymore! there gonna put the Liberty 3.7 in the GC :rolleyes:

That's hilarious. Sucks for them and my friends...I was ticked when ford went to ifs. luckily mine's a 96... Oh well.

Why is that lucky that you are '96, that means you have IFS?

Morrisey.... I feel really dumb now. I actually knew that I had IFS. I was thinking that post was talking about Independent rear...oh well...

I had a 5.9 Limited back when I got my license and that thing can scoot! I could beat anybody that wants to mess with me. I also had the 4.7L Limited and that thing wasn't as powerful as the 5.9L but it was still very quick.

My best friend has a 96 GCL and it has crappy power! i can beat him even though i have all the off-road mods!!! his GCL is all stock and my engine has no mods. he only get 45 on the on ramp to I-40 and i get about 55-60 dependiong on traffic infront of me.

My friend has a 95 GC I6 and my sister has the same thing. I can beat them both, no questions asked. My other friend has a durango with the 4.7 and I can also beat that. A guy down the road has a highly modified Dakota R/T and I cannot beat that... not even anywhere close. He ran a 12.8 @ 121 MPH in the 1/4 mile. My explorer weight 5300 lbs. GC's are unibody and very light. I personally dont like the 4.0 I6 in them. Too many problems with them. My sister and my friend have both had the same problems.

Well i don't thin that the I6 4.0 is better compared to my 2001 4.0 SOHC V6. I ran one like a month ago and all i have is exhaust and a K&N and we all know a K&N is just a sticker really. I took him off the line and he tried taking me but couldn't ever see him next to me. So thats my take on this issue. Maybe is wa ****ty bit it was a new one i could tell from the front end. Thanks guys Ex's rule the roads.

Back