• Register Today It's free!

Explorer v. Grand Cherokee

davek4

Reaction score
City, State
Princeton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Looking at Explorer Limited v. Grand Cherokee Overland. Lots of reasons to prefer the Explorer but wondering if owners find the 18.6 gallon fuel tank a little small. The Grand Cherokee has 24.5 gallon tank with identical mileage rating for the 6 cyl engine.

I drive over 2000 miles per month & the extra tank capacity probably translates to 3 fewer fill-ups per month. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish it was a little bigger but I get about a weeks worth of driving out of it so it's not too bad for me. As long as I can fill up once a week in any of my vehicles I'm happy.. it's the filling up every 3 -4 days that would tick me off.

Just curious- are you a long way from stations? I'd hardly let the size of a gas tank steer a vehicle choice...

No, I'm not far from gas stations & I don't think it will stop me from ordering an Explorer, but as blwnsmoke just said, filling up every 3-4 days gets to be annoying!!! Additional 6 gallons is another 100+ miles between fill ups. I'm also 1.5 miles from the Jeep dealership & 11 miles from Ford. Just another slight inconvenience, but there are always plusses & minuses to any purchase.

BTW, sorry as I guess I should not have posted this on the "modified" Forum.

Dave

I hear ya- I guess that makes sense, although I'd be looking more on stuff like ride quality, seats, and features that make your drives less of a 'job' etc., especially if you're in the car that much... I guess as much as I filled up, I wouldn't have noticed filling up 3 extra times a month. I remember those days- 200 to 300 miles per day. Ugh! :)

Yeah, I agree totally. That's why I will most likely get the Explorer. It definitely has a better ride & more comfortable seats. Wish Ford offered the Ecoboost 6 with that extra torque. I am currently in a Volvo XC90 V8 & will miss the smooth & quiet power, unless I decide on the Grand Cherokee with hemi engine.

Dave

If you get that hemi - that extra gas capacity will come in handy.

...and will negate the -3x fills per month. :)

Yep, the mileage difference for the hemi will just about totally offset the tank size as it relates to frequency of fill-ups (not cost per mile). I'm also concerned that the Jeep (6 cyl or hemi only comes with 5 speed trans. That 6th gear is usually an overdrive resulting in better highway mileage, so I suspect that the Jeep hemi, while rated at the same 13-19mpg as my Volvo, will not achieve the mileage I average on the Volvo.

Thought long & hard about another Volvo as it is extremely comfortable, but:
1- V8 has been discontinued, so only the relatively anemic 3.2 (240 hp) 6 cyl is available. The V8 was Ford/Yamaha deal & the Chinese have apperently decided not to continue it.
2- The XC has not been updated in quite a few years. Can't get excited about spending lots of money for the exact same vehicle with no changes. Body needs at least some minor updating & electronics are extremely limited. The nav system was not very good 3 years ago as compared to competition & has not been changed since.

Dave

But Volvo seats... Mmmmmm... :)

Dave, you are doing the right thing by checking the forums to get opinions I tend to do the same thing. Like others have said make sure you are looking at all your needs. Will you ever need to carry 6-7 people? I would also check the Jeep Cherokee forum to see if the MPG listed is holding true. I just filled up my X for the first time and with 240 miles on it an it appears to be almost 19 with mainly city and 4WD. Good luck with you search.

Thanks for all the input guys. I went ahead & ordered a fully loaded Limited this week (May 16). Dealer says 2011 orders being taken for 2 more weeks & delivery is about 8 weeks.

And yea, there is nothing like Volvo seats as far as I am concerned. That's the hardest part of this decision. But the Explorer seats are pretty good & I was told that the new Explorer is built on the Volvo XC90/S80 platform. MY test drive indicated very similar ride.

Dave

Don't even bother with the new GC untill they bring out the new transmissions, the 5 speed in the 6 and hemi is a pos and geared so bad. It makes the new Penta 6 feel like a lethargic 4 banger, and makes the Hemi feel like it's not putting out even remotely close to its hp/tq numbers. Gear is so bad on those 5 speeds. Same even with the last gen, thats the reason the diesel GC got such crap mileage compared to the ML with the same engine when it came to real world numbers.

I agree though, for the size of the truck, I don't know how they could only come up with a fuel tank that's smaller then many normal mid size cars.

I was wondering if they test EPA mileage numbers with a full tank of gas. That might explain the small tank on Explorer to keep weight down.

Dave

HERE is some interesting reading...

I was wondering if they test EPA mileage numbers with a full tank of gas. That might explain the small tank on Explorer to keep weight down.

Dave
Doubtful, gallon of gas only weighs around 6lbs, they could have added 5 gallons and the weight difference would only be about 30lbs, that's nothing.

I currently have an '06 XC-90 V8. Nice car with nice pickup. But the gas mileage really isn't great...about 17/16.5. And I actually liked the seats in the '11 Explorer limited better. They were a little wider and the seat is a little bit "deeper" (meaning more of my leg was touching the seat - the Volvo seemed like a little too much of my leg was hanging off). Plus, the rear seat room in the Explorer is way better. I have a 7 and a 4 year old who can't avoid kicking the backs of the driver/passenger seats because it's so cramped. In the Ex, they can't really reach the seatbacks. But yes, I do miss the thrust of the V-8.
What I won't miss is the cost of maintenance on the Volvo...good lord!

Back