Bed liner??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bed liner???

I have an '01 explorer XLT and i've tossed around the idea of painting it with black bed-liner. I think it would look cool being rough and almost thrown together. My buddy's dad has an ol' Jeep that is Bed-liner Blue and i think its nice paint. and solid too, (Just not the blue, lol). i just am wondering how much bed-liner i'd need with my X, and if it will actually work? I.E. stick to the exterior. Will i have to strip the old paint? its stock i believe, a pearlescent blue-purple. (I really don't like it, and i often cry myself to sleep because of it.) Cheap Brands? or any other advice will be greatly appreciated. I was kidding about the crying my self to sleep, btw. thanks again.:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, I would say don't go with a "cheap" brand. Herculiner works great, but not the cheapest. Your probably going to need 3 big cans at least. Def going to have to prep the truck. Bedliner is NOTORIOUS for not sticking to any surface that isn't prepared right. It will go on fine, but crack and chip within a few weeks. Adhesion promoter on the plastics, take you TIME!

depends on how "nice" you want it to look. Plastics are easy, sand them down, clean them, adhesion promoter, paint. Metal is a different story. I would think you need to at least pull off the clear coat with a light sanding ALL OVER. Then use some kind of metal cleaner to pull any excess grease and wax off. With bedliner it doesn't matter what it looks like underneath, the only thing that matters is that the bedliner bonds to the metal and not the paint or clear coat.

ok, and by 3 "big" cans do you mean gallons or more than that? can this be a one day job? or will it take longer to paint and everything to dry. I drive it all week to school so i can't leave it in the driveway.

I would think 3 gallon cans should do it, depends on how thick of a layer you want on there. start to finish, could probably be done in a weekend, will def have to sit in a garage or full sun for a dry day. If it was me, I would do a prep weekend (most important part) then the next weekend, clean one last time and paint, take off your lights, tape and paper all your glass, because the stuff is MESSY

Back