Beefier Rear Differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Beefier Rear Differential

xtremek

Reaction score
City, State
Lansing, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
I need some help. The woman's '07 Exploder blew the rear differential. We've towed home the '93 Saturn on a dolly, the 8n home on a 2 axle trailer and a couple of loads of rock on a 5'x10' trailer. I was leaving the house and it just went. Getting about 25-30 degrees of rotation when holding the brake and gently shifting from forward to reverse and back. This seems like a poor design. I'd like to replace it with something a little more stouter. Does anyone make a beefier center section? I don't know if this is in the correct section, so if it moves, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's Ford 8.8 pumpkin. Search on the web for stronger aftermarket replacement. It's quite common. I believe it was first introduced in 1989 in Thunderbirds 3.8SC that I had, and then on v8 Tbirds. after that the Mustang got it so there should be plenty of them.

The Mustang had/has an IRS? I thought they were solid rear axles.

At some point they did. I am not that familiar with Mustang generations and changes.

It's the 8.8's design in general - it only has 2 pinion bearingsand isn't really meant for towing (at least not in my opinion) because of pinion deflection - comparable to a "single shear" design. So unless you've got endless cash, I'd say just get it overhauled at a good shop and call it a day.

But if you REALLY wanted a stronger rear differential, a custom Ford 9-inch center section modified to bolt up to the Explorer's rear IRS cross member would be the ticket as the 9-inch comes with a supported pinion - comparable to a "double shear" design. Alternatively, you could get another vehicle with a "heavier" rear axle - at least in the Dana-60 or Sterling range, most of which still only has 2-pinion bearings but at least the size and distance between the two pinion bearings are greater minimizing pinion deflection.

Ford-9 with 3rd pinion bearing
ccrp_0806_07_z+chevy_chevelle_rear_axle_swap+ford_9_inch_pinion_support_bearing.jpg

what about Eaton TrueTrac for ford 8.8 part #913A561

would it increase the 8.8 strength?

and the traction aid is a pulse

Attachments

• IMG-20110301-00070.jpg
    IMG-20110301-00070.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,191

I haven't had the chance to pull the pig apart yet. I've only had a chance to watch the pinion yoke. It's acting like the pinion bearings are gone. Is this a common failure? Is the Explorer an aluminum or cast iron housing?

what about Eaton TrueTrac for ford 8.8 part #913A561

would it increase the 8.8 strength?
The problem isn't the carrier (so a traction-aid device wont help) - it's the pinion (and somewhat its crush sleeve design). The carrier is fine (for the most part), the pinion is what comes loose over time.

Would a cast iron housing do better and if so, does anyone make one? Would the Ratech crush sleeve resolve the issue? Also, looks like I'm going to learn how to rebuild rear end, any advice?

sounds like its not your diff gears that are the issue but the bracing and mounts that hold it in....look for some high performance diff covers with extra mounts and maybe think about poly urethane bushings.

honestly if you are towing within the specifications of your vehicle, doing your services on time and not abusing it you shouldnt have a problem....maybe you need an f-350

Back