belt tensioner loose - shakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

belt tensioner loose - shakes

tonydp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
There is a bit of noise/movement coming from the BT durring idle. If I increase the idle it stops. Is this normal? I've had idle engine shake for ever now and can't figure it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a bit of noise/movement coming from the BT durring idle. If I increase the idle it stops. Is this normal? I've had idle engine shake for ever now and can't figure it out.
No, it's not normal. On my '96 it started that way then started to squeal, I replaced it for about $25 and it was pretty easy. They do wear out at 80-100k miles.

If you have a rough idle/shaking engine, the idler will 'slap' back and forth and might hit the limiter making a noise.

Replacing it won't help if it is indeed from the engine missing. A bad harmonic balancer can also cause excessive tensioner slap.

If you have a rough idle/shaking engine, the idler will 'slap' back and forth and might hit the limiter making a noise.

Replacing it won't help if it is indeed from the engine missing. A bad harmonic balancer can also cause excessive tensioner slap.

for $60 ill try my luck here. The balancer looks to be ok. There was no seperation or anything. The truck actually feels like it has a miss but unable to sort anything out.

The tentionser is ok when i raise rpm's, no more bounce.

Did you ever get the problem fixed? Asking because i have the same issue going on with my 2005.

no. i still need to figure out the shake.

I have this slight shake at idle on mine too but it doesn't appear to be a "miss". I'm not sure though.

My 2002 runs good other then that though!

no. i still need to figure out the shake.

What year? The balancer has a problem with the ring in the center of crank pulley becoming loose and cause vibration on 04-05.

Back