• Register Today It's free!

Belt Tensioner

stol

Reaction score
City, State
Clarkston, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I replaced the brushes in my 95 amp alternator yesterday. Now the belt tensioner has rotated past where it applies tension. Looking from the front it has continued clockwise past 9:00.

Does the serpentine belt stretch, or is there something wrong with tensioner?

BTW: No one was selling just the brushes for the 95 amp alternator. The dealer had the voltage regulator with brushes for $80! I ended up buying the brush assembly for the 130 amp alternator and removing the actual brushes from the assembly. I had to modify my assembly a little because the brush connection wires were on the side instead of the bottom. $10 plus tax, total cost!!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The belt tensioner's have a tendency to be pieces of crap. The belt isn't the problem if its that bad.

It was the belt tensioner, the new one does not go past about 7:30.

Congrats on the ingenuity on the brushes, and like was said the tensioners can be a headache.

Congrats on the ingenuity on the brushes, and like was said the tensioners can be a headache.

i know what ya mean, i noticed my belt squaking,. looked at the tensioner and it was deffinately crapped out... 58 bucks, got curious and looked at my moms, same thing but wasnt bad enough to make it squeak or anything, and bang another 58 bucks withing the same week lol. but i noticed the old ones where made ot metal and the new ones looked and felt like plastic lol getting cheaper and cheaper

Back