Serpentine Belt Tensioner?

asokolski

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
Hey

The shop I use told me that my serpentine belt tensioner was "coming apart" and that it needs replacement.

This look like an easy repair to DIY. But, ss the tensioner really only mounted with one bolt through the center of the spring loaded tensioner assembly?!

Is there any special procedure to ensure that the spring in the tensioner is properly sprung when mounting the new part?

Thanks in advance. I'm new here and to Explorers. Bought a 1996 XLT a few weeks back off a friend and am embarking on fixing it up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a picture of the belt tensioner:
17517tensioner.jpg

Thanks guys, especially for the write up. Somehow I missed that in the search I did.

You can do it; its a very simple 5-10 minute job.

Good luck ........

Make sure you keep up on that belt, I had my top tension pully break at 6 months and it was a huge mess.

Take care.

Hey

The shop I use told me that my serpentine belt tensioner was "coming apart" and that it needs replacement.

This look like an easy repair to DIY. But, ss the tensioner really only mounted with one bolt through the center of the spring loaded tensioner assembly?!

Is there any special procedure to ensure that the spring in the tensioner is properly sprung when mounting the new part?

Thanks in advance. I'm new here and to Explorers. Bought a 1996 XLT a few weeks back off a friend and am embarking on fixing it up.

I know this an OOOOLD post..lol..
JUst got into replacing my tensioner...I had noticed a squeak, squeak under the hood for a while, but assumed it was weather and the alternator pully squeaking a little.. got under the hood and looked yesterday after noticing the squeak turned into a grating and found that my tensioner was seperated at the base (And the fan was rubbing it) as well as twisted a little...
I actually just came in from taking it off... had to go underneath and release tension that way as it was protruding so badly from the top that I couldn't get between it and the fan, as soon as the belt was off and the ratchet lose it basically fell and hit the ground..
So I guess my question is.. Is this a common thing? do they need to be replaced often?

My idler pulley seized and I was about to have my vehicle towed and repaired. I had a feeling it wasn't too difficult to replace so I thought why not do it myself. It was a 5 minute job. The next problem was to relieve tension from the serpentine belt tensioner. This post saved at least $200.00. Thanks!

1999 Ranger 3.0 belt tensioner question

Found these threads very informative. My son's Ranger is squealing like a stuck pig. 121,000 miles on it so I figured I would replace the belt, idler pulley, and tensioner all at once. I have the parts now but the new tensioner has a T47 torx bolt (like the videos I saw on YouTube). I'll need to buy that tool. To see the current tensioner's attachment, I had to use a small mirror -- it looks like a small hex (~10-12 mm) in the middle of a much larger opening -- defintely not a T47. Is this correct? Am I going to have any issues getting the old one off? Any other tool required? I am not a pro mechanic, just slightly handy.

Was going to pay to have this done but am glad I decided to come look here first. This forum is the best and is a must for every Explorer owner.

Back