• Register Today It's free!

Bent valve 02 4.0l SOHC

89newporker

Reaction score
City, State
Prescott Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey guys, quick question I have a buddy's Explorer that has a bent intake valve on the #4 cylinder. I have already determined that the motor's coming out which BTW I am in the process of doing right now... However My question is that the truck was running great and and all of a sudden from What I can gather from my friend is that his wife was driving and it suddenly started to to run rough... Does that sound feasible to you? I personally have a 98 eddie that runs like new @ 350k on the original block albeit she is starting to use oil now... I have a hard time believing that without someone inside the motor or the chain tensioners taking a crap that she would arbitrarily slip the chain and bend a valve... Thoughts?
Does the 02 4.0l SOHC have issues that I should be aware of?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bent intake valve?

How did you determine that the cylinder 4 intake valve was bent? Normally, if the chain slips just enough for bent valves all three exhaust valves will be bent.
3Dings.jpg

It was not necessary to pull the engine to remove/install the heads or time the camshafts if you have the OTC-6488 timing tool kit.

You will need a special valve spring compressor to remove any valve.
Rotunda_SPX_303-581_LG.jpg

ST-103a.jpg

Not my first go around with motors... Been building them for quite some time now not only that compression test showed no compression in #4 cylinder so I removed intake and Guess what... Valve jammed open with NO MOVEMENT while rotating the motor... Thus Bent valve... Stay tuned for pics of the Cylinder head removal...
I chose to remove motor due to lack of care and maintenance performed on said truck so Considering the damage already done It's best to over haul and bring her back to new condition...

Ok here we go, Motor is out and wouldn't ya know it the chains were tight and looked as though they could go another 100k easily until I noticed this...

11390378_10204264378716789_3986057942798025998_n.jpg

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the 2005 Mustang SOHC V6 engine assembly instructions. I found them to be quite useful.

Thanks I am noticing a few thing different than my 98....

For some reason it would load the other picture The parts seen in the 1st pic was the broken valve spring and the follower was below all that stuff. Intake valve Bent beyond belief, see the following picture

photo.php

I am loving this because not only did she say that she just pulled over when this happened I can without a doubt call her out on a LIE this type of damage does not just happen from bang and pull over.... This happens from continued driving when there is an OBVIOUS problem

Why wont it load the pics?

Common issue on sohc engines. The valve springs are known to "shatter" when ran hard when cold. Too bad you didn't need to pull the motor to fix it. I have done 2 just like that and neither of the valves were bent. Just replaced the spring and keepers and let it roll.

Yes I needed to pull the motor... The valves *WERE* bent I had to drive the intake valve out of the head... not to mention the damage that was done to the piston in #4 , cracked.

picture format?

The max photo size is 800 x 800 pixels. If the photo is larger in either dimension the site software is supposed to automatically resize the photo which is time consuming. Also, the site software is not in the normal configuration at this time. I use appropriately sized jpeg format photos and don't usually have any problems. If you are an elite (paid) member you can post up to 6 photos (used to be 4) directly in each post. Non-elites have to insert a link to a photo hosting site.

Back