Best oil/grease to stop rust from spreading | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best oil/grease to stop rust from spreading

jimbo231

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I noticed a few rust spots behind my taillilght assembly and wondered what is the best stuff to use on it to prevent it from spreading. I was thinking just motor oil but want something that will stick better and last longer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed a few rust spots behind my taillilght assembly and wondered what is the best stuff to use on it to prevent it from spreading. I was thinking just motor oil but want something that will stick better and last longer.

I would recommend something called POR15 (stands for Paint Over Rust).
You won't find it at Walmart, but a speed shop, aor maybe an autobody supply place should have it. You can also get it mail order. I'm pretty sure LMC Truck sells it. It's about $7-$8 for a little itty-bitty can. I paid $28 for a pint the other day, but it does go reasonably far. It sounds like you prob. just need the little "sample" size can. Oh yeah.... wear gloves....seriously! It does NOT come off your skin.

www.por15.com

I just used a product called Rust Bullet- similar to POR-15. I know a bunch of people use POR-15, and some of the reviews I read had as good or better reviews of Rust Bullet. I'm sure they're very similar. It's basically a rust encapsulator, it penetrates the rust, goes into the metal, and stops it cold.

I pulled my running boards off, cleaned up under there, and painted it on, and topcoated with white. In fact, it's drying at work in the garage right now. :) The Rust Bullet products seems to be easier to topcoat without buying special primers.

I bought a quart, it was $50 shipped to me.

Good luck!

I just used a product called Rust Bullet- similar to POR-15. I know a bunch of people use POR-15, and some of the reviews I read had as good or better reviews of Rust Bullet. I'm sure they're very similar. It's basically a rust encapsulator, it penetrates the rust, goes into the metal, and stops it cold.

I pulled my running boards off, cleaned up under there, and painted it on, and topcoated with white. In fact, it's drying at work in the garage right now. :) The Rust Bullet products seems to be easier to topcoat without buying special primers.

I bought a quart, it was $50 shipped to me.

Good luck!

There is no problem with topcoating POR15. You only need their special primer if you let the POR15 dry completely first. As long as put some kind of topcoat/primer/whatever on top of the POR15 while it's still SLIGHTLY wet (light "finger-drag", they call it), it's fine. I just did one frame rail on my pickup, and I sprayed undercoating right over the POR15.

Ah ok- I was reading the directions and even the guy from the POR-15 site emailed me that I needed a special primer. That was the sole reason I bought the Rust Bullet product.

I just finished my painting tonight, put the boards back on, will have some pics this week in case anyone wants to see the process. Should be similar to both.

Back