What is the best way to stop rust. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the best way to stop rust.

On my Explorer I have noticed that the bottom of the rear hatch is starting to rust along with the bottom side of the rear doors. Is there anything I can use to put over top of the rust to stop it from getting any worse? I have heard of this stuff called POR-15 and it says it will stop rust from getting any worse. What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep- POR-15, Rust Bullet, etc... all do as well as anything out there.

Yep- POR-15, Rust Bullet, etc... all do as well as anything out there.

How well does Por-15 work....? I've never used it before.. Just ordered a quart of it of ebay to paint the underside of the body.. and a few spots on the tailgate as well.. Been meaning to ask somone on here about it.. This post just reminded me!

love por-15 works wonders. it comes in the can and you can either brush it on or use a small roller.

MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLAVES AND MAKE SURE IT DOSENT GET ON ANYTHING YOU DONT WANT IT TO... IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OFF.

As far as the rear hatch, what my buddy did with his 97 x was hit the rust spots with a grinder first to get the big chunks off and clean the metal then just applied as needed. no rust since and that was 3 yrs ago.

love por-15 works wonders. it comes in the can and you can either brush it on or use a small roller.

MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLAVES AND MAKE SURE IT DOSENT GET ON ANYTHING YOU DONT WANT IT TO... IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OFF.

As far as the rear hatch, what my buddy did with his 97 x was hit the rust spots with a grinder first to get the big chunks off and clean the metal then just applied as needed. no rust since and that was 3 yrs ago.

Alright, sweet! Yeah I was reading about that.. Gonna have to wear some old clothes cuz painting upside down may not work that great.. haha Yeah, i grinded the spot down and hit it a few times with rustoleum. That was a few months ago and it's rusting again now..

Thanks for the replies. Just a couple more questions. Should I get the cleaner and metal prep stuff also? On there website I noticed that they have a starter kit that comes with the POR 15, metal prep and marine clean. Or can I just get away with just the POR 15?

I used Rust Bullet, but I just knocked off all the loose rust

DSCF2006.jpg

cleaned it with brake cleaner, and slathered it on...

DSCF2020.jpg

DSCF2033.jpg

Then topcoated it...

i usually just mix up some salt with a little water and sugar, into a sticky paste. then smear it all over the rusty spots and keep it moist.

Back