Best Place for OEM Wheels | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Place for OEM Wheels

Well back to the drawing board. About 5 hours after placing my order with Detroit tire and wheel I get a call from salesperson. He said that the owner of company put the wrong price on the Internet and that $250 was their cost and that the owner said he couldn't sell them at that price even though I had already ordered them. Informed me the new price was $395 each plus shipping. This might be a good company but what owner has a salesperson call to explain their mistake and then have them deliver the message that they won't honor an already placed order price. Seems like to me selling a set of wheels at cost beats bad publicity. Just so you guys know.

Going to search criagslist and ebay for the time being as I am not going to spend my money with that company. Could be and probably is an isolated incident considering the positive feedback on them I got from you all but still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

last fall the ex was in need of new shoes. So I bought some 18" OEM take offs brand new wheels/ michelin tires from an ebay seller from UTAH, turned out great. I think I paid about $1000 for the entire set and I sold my worn out set locally at craigslist for about $600.00 so for $400 I got new tires, new rims (identical to the ones I had before) in exchange of my worn tires/used rims.
My point is you might be able to buy a take off set in CL and then sell yours for hopefully little out of pocket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't get me wrong about the polished wheels. I like the look, I just wish they were not clear coated so I could polish and care for them they way we should. I dislike having them scratch or crack near the rim/center cap/lug nut hole and then water gets in there and there is nothing you can do to fix or maintain them as an owner without heavy expenditures trying to get a shop to refinish them.

Don't get me wrong about the polished wheels. I like the look, I just wish they were not clear coated so I could polish and care for them they way we should. I dislike having them scratch or crack near the rim/center cap/lug nut hole and then water gets in there and there is nothing you can do to fix or maintain them as an owner without heavy expenditures trying to get a shop to refinish them.

100% agreed.
Painted wheels are soo much easier to maintain. Wax them and you are done.

image_zpszeik9mft.jpg

I bought the black chrome version from Detroit Wheel and Tire. Quick shipping and the rims were in great shape - looked like new, even though they were refurbished.

Back