Best tire in a certain size? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best tire in a certain size?

Well, not for an explorer but thought you guys could help. I am curious which tire is best in a 285/75R16. Probably an all-terrain, maybe a mud-terrain. Daily driver with some occasional offroading (in colorado). I would love to find the Pirelli Scorpion AT's in that size but don't think they are made in that size. Did find BFG AT and MT, Yokohama AT and MT, Goodyear MTR, and not much else. Any comments? etc... Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For a great all-around road, offroad, and winter tire of the ones you mentioned, the BFG AT is very good.

Well, was thinking about the BFG's, but cost is also a factor. Heard decent about the Yokohama, and is alot cheaper then the BFG's. So any other input would be nice, thanks.

I'm currently looking at the exact same size and leaning towards the Yokohama's for the price I can get them. $100 less than MTR's and $25-50 less than BFG per tire.
What did you end up getting and how do you like them?

we sell a lot of yoko geolandar ats.... they are ok... but be warned... they dont balance very well, and must be rotated every 1000 miles....they have a horrible tendency to cup....personally, i would go for the bfg at or the yoko geolandar ht as the geo ht is a decent tire although not as a ggressive, but doesnt have the wierd wear characteristics of the geolandar AT

Thanks for the quick reply! What about the yoko M/T?

the yokohoma mt is a sweet tire.. i like them.... just be careful..it is a direction mud tire... i am not sure on its tread lifespan, but they do wear uniformly and balance out well

Great, thanks for the info James! I am definitely leaning towards the yoko M/T, although from the checking I've been doing on the site and others they don't wear well but perform great. I guess an advantage would be, by the time they wear out I should be ready to go to 35's and that would be a good reason to justify another set of new tires to the wife.

Originally posted by Body Mechanic
by the time they wear out I should be ready to go to 35's and that would be a good reason to justify another set of new tires to the wife.

HEHE ;) I like you way of thinking!

Back