Best tires for long travel and off-roading | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best tires for long travel and off-roading

X,
I run 31X10.5 R15 BFG A/T's on my 95XLT with no problems. There is a picture of a 94 with 30X9.5 BFG A/T's on this website
http://www.4x4central.com/ayers.html
This is from the FAQ on this site:
Tire Options for the '91 -'94 Explorers
The largest tires that will fit on the these Explorers without rubbing are 30x9.50's Some people have been able to fit 31x10.50's, but this really depends on manufacturing tolerences. Anything larger will require asuspension or body lift. There are many quality lift kits available for this generation of Explorers.

The thing to do is go to a shop and try them on, that way your know for sure. I find that the BFG A/T's are very good and I am very happy with them. The only other tire I have had was the GoodYear Wrangler A/t which are good, but I like the BFG's better. I Have heard that the Dunlops, and Yokohama's are also very good.
Just my $.02

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. :)
95 XLT 4X4

I have a '94 explorer sport and am tired of the lack of ground clearance it has. (6.7 lousy inches under the rear diff). I would like to put larger tires on the stock 15 inch aluminum rims. However, i do not know if i should go with a 30 x 9.5 tire or maybe a 31 x 10.5 inch tire. I do not want the truck to look redicolous with tires that are too large and i also do not want any rubbing to occur, especially off road when the rear end could get fully compressed. I am also looking for some recommendations as to what kind of tire to get seeing that i do a lot of on road traveling, but also want a pretty decent off road tire.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

------------------
Will
94 explorer sport

Back