best way to get rid of rear end sag on 99 explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

best way to get rid of rear end sag on 99 explorer?

I'm going to be installing the load adjusts in the back and Bilstein's in the front.
THAT sounds like a winning combination. I've heard a few RAVE about that setup. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2000 Sport has Reflex shocks on it and it rides very, very stiff. Would not recommend.

My 98 4-door has Sensatracs all around and rides much more comfortably. I know the 4-door will ride better regardless, but the difference is huge.

I am putting some Sensatracs on the 2-door so I will have a better basis for comparison here shortly.

If you where closer I would lend two Sensatrac rears to you to test (or Sport is different from 4 door?). I remove mine after two weeks, the rear end was too "loose" in curves for my taste :)

Monroe Load Adjusting shocks may be another option. I've heard there
may be structural cross member mounting issues, but have never heard
of a failure. People that have them just rave. Search on Monroe 58617.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329261

Shocks alone will not help with sag. shackles will not help with sag. if you install new rear springs and still have sag, you either have a bent frame or you also need to adjust the front torsion bar(s). Monroe shocks with helper springs should help the rear (basically a cheap coil-over shock). i'd probably try these first (around $100 pair).

rear air shocks

I am considering putting air shocks on the rear of my 2000 Eddie Bauer.... I am also considering Bills game or a nother high quality shock for the front... my explorer doesn't really sad Yak and it is level... I just would like to increase the height in the rear a bit... and also for heavier loads... let me know how the setup works out...
thx
Dutchman 60y

I am considering putting air shocks on the rear of my 2000 Eddie Bauer.... I am also considering Bills game or a nother high quality shock for the front... my explorer doesn't really sad Yak and it is level... I just would like to increase the height in the rear a bit... and also for heavier loads... let me know how the setup works out...
thx
Dutchman 60y

Air shocks are fine if you just want to increase height and/or add a little carrying capacity (not beyond vehicle's specified max) but they won't help if you've got one side lower than the other, because they will lift both sides equally. I've used Gabriel air shocks in the past, with good results.

Back