• Register Today It's free!

Best way to set up 2nd battery?

Mainfraim

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
I'm kind of interested in setting up a good sound system in an Explorer and I want to know the best way to put a dual battery system in it. I want to be able to run the stereo with the car off but don't want to kill myself trying to start it if the stereo drains a little bit. Anyone know of a good system? I think I'm talking about an isolator, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you are right about the isolator. Basically, what you want to do, is run 2 batteries. To do this, you are going to want to run them in parallel + to +...- to -. Between the batteries you want to install an isolator. Your alternator will now charge both batteries...but when the car is off you will running purely off the 2nd battery and not the battery that you rely on to start your vehicle.

the bad thing about the isolator is that you will lose voltage. and that means your amps wont put out as much power.

Will I lose voltage when it's charging, or when the car is off or what? Wouldn't the amps be running directly from the second battery? Please explain.

I was just about to post the same question

I've seen folks with the second battery in the back. Anyone know how I would wire this? I don't have enough room under my hood according to a lot of mechanics to put a second one in.

If anyone has any pics or schematic of 2nd batteries being wired to the back let me know. I already have a 0 gauge wire running there from the front battery. I also just got a 5 farad stinger digital cap.

Joe

the isolator is restrictive and cuts down on the alternator's output. the batterys are 12 volts, the explorer's electrical system runs between 14 and 15 volts. if your's is running at 14.4 volts without the isolator, you'll probably run between 13.3 volts and 13.7 with the isolator. that may not seem like much, but that extra voltage could really help (especially on a high current amp with an unregulated power supply).

for example: the Orion HCCA 250G4 amp puts out 800 watts rms at 12.5 volts. at 13.8 volts it puts out about 1100 watts. and at 14.4 volts it puts out about 1600 watts rms. that's a lot of extra power

After doing a lot of research on what is available on the market, I went with the products from these guys...

http://www.hellroaring.com/

Made in the USA for one thing, and I needed mine for sound and winching. I liked the idea of being able to switch between the batteries and combine them from inside the truck with a toggle switch. Real nice to talk to about which way to set it up for how you want to use it.

IMHO

Cool thanks for bringing this topic up. I'm gonna do this sometime in the future with a deep cycle as the second battery.

Hmmmm.

Those schematics seem complicated. Years ago I would have understood them well. Know of any other company with more user friendly schematics? I don't want to buy the battery and have no idea where to put the damn thing. Does stinger tell you how to install theirs?

Joe

Back