Better 4wd handling? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better 4wd handling?

Yeah and in finland axles and diffs wont grow in tree :D

And shipping cost to states ymmmmmm....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe not in the states, but in Germany. There is a the
Oldtimer Markt magazine. You can put a search ad in there. In my olden days, I found the weirdest stuff in that magazine. If you need help with translation into German, you know where to find me.
http://www.oldtimer-markt.de

Maybe not in the states, but in Germany. There is a the
Oldtimer Markt magazine. You can put a search ad in there. In my olden days, I found the weirdest stuff in that magazine. If you need help with translation into German, you know where to find me.
http://www.oldtimer-markt.de

Danke!

Hub locks come germany too fast and good.

Maybe i handle with this diff. Summer is coming too :D

I think I know what Karpov is talking about. I have manual hubs. If I engage 4x4 High + lock the hubs, the handling does stiffen up quite a bit at higher speed (above 40 km/h).

SO... if the road condition is not too bad, I just to engage 4x4 high using the button but do NOT lock the hubs. That seems to give me a "good enough" approximation of "all wheel drive". I.e. I can launch from mud and snow, and have passable handling on the slippery pavement.

Hmm. I might have a locked diff. When I turn sharp when in 4x4 my front pulls weird, like my wheels are locking up? Even in 9" of snow. Is this normal? Sometimes while normally driving I'll hear a clunk in the front left wheel only when I'm in 4x4 though. (Rare in low traction areas. If it's high traction though it's about every minute or so.) Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread. Just thinking I may have a locked diff. as well.

Hmm. I might have a locked diff. When I turn sharp when in 4x4 my front pulls weird, like my wheels are locking up? Even in 9" of snow. Is this normal? Sometimes while normally driving I'll hear a clunk in the front left wheel only when I'm in 4x4 though. (Rare in low traction areas. If it's high traction though it's about every minute or so.) Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread. Just thinking I may have a locked diff. as well.

But 4x4 low range on and jack right or left side up front of your vehicle.

Try then spin wheel. If it wont spin, lock.

Go back and read this thread. You're binding the transfer case

I think I know what Karpov is talking about. I have manual hubs. If I engage 4x4 High + lock the hubs, the handling does stiffen up quite a bit at higher speed (above 40 km/h).

SO... if the road condition is not too bad, I just to engage 4x4 high using the button but do NOT lock the hubs. That seems to give me a "good enough" approximation of "all wheel drive". I.e. I can launch from mud and snow, and have passable handling on the slippery pavement.

If you're hubs are unlocked then you're in 2wd.... There's no kinda sorta locked

Clunk is maybe auto hub lock what was my problem too.

But you can still look do you have lock in front.

Back