• Register Today It's free!

Better Than Seafoam?

coliniscool

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
So about a month ago, I started haveing this weird scraping noise that came from under the hood right as I started the car, it only lasted a fraction of a second, but I was concerned none the less. I went down to autozone to pick up a can of seafoam, (as I found before was basically a miracle in a can when it came to the engine in general). I used about 3/4 of the can straight into the brake booster line and the rest in the fuel tank. Well I did notice an increase in idle quality and smoothness in the engine, but it didn't help the scraping noise I metioned earlier. I let it go on until about a week ago when I decided to go into autozone again and see what advice I could obtain on the issue. Well the guy there said he thought it might have to do with some sort of deposit in the combustion chamber and showed me this stuff called "Berryman's B12 Chemtool" which he said was basically seaoam but more powerful/concentrated. So I bought the stuff (which was half the price of the same amount of seafoam $2.99/can). I put in about 1/4 of the can into the brake booster line and then turned off the car and let it sit for about 10 minutes, (it didn't put on the smoke show of seafoam unfortunately :( , but I was still hopeful that it would do at least something). So when I started my car again the scraping noise WAS GONE!!!! I was thrilled, but I didn't get too excited because I thought it might come back. But after another few days it had not come back and everything has been totally fine!!! I am not sure what any of you guys think about "Berryman's B12 Chemtool" but I think that it might be the only thing I will ever use from now on. Feedback?

i love the stuff for the gas tank, but i would think that seafoam would be a better choice for cleaning through the brake booster. It could be that the scraping noise you describe could have been solved with just another cleaning. I used Berrymans on my MR2 and it didn't really do much. Then I used seafoam and it worked wonders. But I am wondering if it is kinda like what I mentioned, that the Berryman's loosened the crap, and the seafoam cleaned it out. Of course, I am no expert on this issue. Others care to chime in?

Back