Beware moog ball joints!!

medicbro2000

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
(1994 XLT) 00 RangerXLT
Hey guys,....ok AND girls!

thoughts i would add this in here as it may be informative for someone else doing ball joints.

I just replaced both left and right lower ball joints in my 2000 3.0 4x4 XLT ranger... We went to install the more expensive ones made by MOOG and found out they fit TOO LOOSE!! We had to put in the cheaper BOND Auto Parts Brand (Parts Master) ones but amazingly they fit nice and tight!

Case in point... loose fitting lower ball joints can wear your lower control arm over time and oblong the hole- hence eventually making you have to replace the WHOLE lower control arm....

So- be careful with MOOG lower ball joints... make sure they fit right... you may need to buy the cheaper ones and just have to remember to keep them greased up!!:thumbsup:

Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can tack weld the ball joints to keep them in the control arm.

I have an 01, 2wd, XLT, Extended cab, Coil front suspension. I ordered all 4 ball joints from www.auto parts warehouse.com which I will never do business with again but the balljoints fit great. You just need to make sure you order the right ones.

my ball joints squeak like crazy, the rubber fitting around them are pretty much disintegrated, wd40 usally takes care of my squeak until it rains or i decide to play in a little mud

Has NOTHING to do with MOOG balljoints. ive had 3 different types of joints do this.

... so there is more than likely definite truth surrounding this fact. I was not indicating this to be a BASH MOOG parts thread as I actually prefer to use MOOG parts on whatever I need for chasis parts... We tried 3 differant MOOG joints and they all fit the same- loose as a turd. I hated to put the cheaper ones in but they worked... Its all part of the QC margin or error manufacturors are allowed....failing to realize that a smaller diameter however small the THOUSANDTHS of a centimeter they are its makes a HUGE differance...In anyevent-if you choose to do your work yourself rather than take it to a shop, be aware of how loose SOME ball joints fit!

Tack welding isn't a bad idea, just makes its a *&^%!! when you go to replace them again later.... especially when you live in the north east and deal with frost heaves and pot holes in the wintertime and poor roads.... your vehicle eats ball joints!!

anyway.. good luck to all!!! Be safe!

my ball joints squeak like crazy, the rubber fitting around them are pretty much disintegrated, wd40 usally takes care of my squeak until it rains or i decide to play in a little mud

I had one squeaking like a bastaaad too!! Did you try greasing it??? WD40 tends to evaporate a little faster than other lubes... Just be careful the thing doesn't seize up on you and break! I just replaced my ball joint all together. Needless to say, no squeak and the front end is nice and tight!!! I cant tell you how annoying it was to drive through town and every little bump or turn I took was like a sledge hammer to the head *SQUEAKA SQUUEEEEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK!!!''' People were all looking at me funny..... so I waved to them ha ha. "How are ya!?" ha ha!!!

....does squeak have a "u" in it..... some how it just doesn't look right...

Back