Bigger fonts for Explorer and Edge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bigger fonts for Explorer and Edge

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
Beginning next year, Ford will make the font thicker and bolder in the interiors of its Ford Edge and Ford Explorer. That means consumers can expect to see wording that’s roughly 40% wider on interior display screens and controls, including your center dashboard display screen and A/C buttons. What’s more, the company has plans to expand (literally) this effort into other models in the coming years.

The move is an effort to make it “easier for people of all ages, particularly aging baby boomers, to read display fonts,” the company said in a statement. (Ford conducted a “legibility study,” which found that people’s eyesight begins to decline in their 40s and worsens from there; these results mimic the results of previous studies as well). Of course, it’s also likely an effort to sell more cars to the lucrative boomer demographic. For its part, the company wrote in a statement: “Today, aging consumers are of great interest to companies including Ford. For the first time, people age 65 and over will outnumber children under the age of 5. It’s a transformation that’s changing the world, along with all kinds of products in it.”

Read more: http://blogs.smartmoney.com/encore/...-read-this-now/?mod=rss_&link=SM_home_blogsum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VoJ-IRTT-zFY5r9dwG7bdQ_tZtQTA_kA3hfM0zxZ7OBtj7&t=1.jpg

Trudy says "Thank you, Ford" :D

Hey, I guess i fit that category of baby boomer as my father was in the Pacific theater during WW2. I was the first born and judging from the amount of brothers and sisters i have, he must of tied my mom to the bed when he got back lol.
I like the idea of the larger fonts, now if they would also add bright blinking lights on top of the dash (like i did on the Bronco) so us hearing impaired boomers can see that we forgot to turn off the turn signals due to we can't hear the sound of the blinkers ha ha.

My reading vision isn't what it used to be...

Back