Bilstein Shocks All Around | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bilstein Shocks All Around

RTF_EXPLORER

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer-5.0AWD
Question; Is the AWD the same as a 4WD...?? I noticed that Bilstein part numbers only reference 4wd. Someone told me its the same part number as a 4wd. Also was told that brake rotors same thins reference back as 4wd part numbers. Sorry for the dumb questions this AWD has me all confused sometimes when it comes to ordering parts.

Final question if I do the front shocks only; do I need to take it in for an alignment? I was told yes by some & no by others. I always thought if your not touching the springs or tie rods straight shock replacement is good to go....??? Anyone? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will want the 4WD/AWD version of the shock. The main difference I noticed in my shock replacement was that the 2WD is thicker on the bottom and will rub the CV axle. The AWD (in my case, I have AWD) has a skinnier bottom section to clear the CVs. I have the MonroeMatic Plus shocks in the AWD flavor all the way around :)

As for the alignment, I agree with the latter part of your post. If you just do shocks, no alignment necessary I don't think.

AWD has same shocks as 4WD. But if you select in their e-catalog the Eddie Bauer version, you will have selection of AWD too...
You don't need alignment because the shocks don't affect any angle adjustments. You don't even need to take the wheels off.
Don't forget that you have a fifth shock, connected to the back axle, passenger side. Monroe and Bilstein have them, called "Axle Wrap" on Bilstein.

You will want the 4WD/AWD version of the shock. The main difference I noticed in my shock replacement was that the 2WD is thicker on the bottom and will rub the CV axle. The AWD (in my case, I have AWD) has a skinnier bottom section to clear the CVs. I have the MonroeMatic Plus shocks in the AWD flavor all the way around :)

As for the alignment, I agree with the latter part of your post. If you just do shocks, no alignment necessary I don't think.

Awesome thanks.

AWD has same shocks as 4WD. But if you select in their e-catalog the Eddie Bauer version, you will have selection of AWD too...
You don't need alignment because the shocks don't affect any angle adjustments. You don't even need to take the wheels off.
Don't forget that you have a fifth shock, connected to the back axle, passenger side. Monroe and Bilstein have them, called "Axle Wrap" on Bilstein.

Another big thanks for the info; you read my mind I was going to ask you about that. I'm assuming dampens the axle how does one know if it has gone bad? Symptoms?

On mine, when I was accelerating hard or taking a corner fast, I could feel the rear moving slightly sideways. "Loose" is the closest term. My wife noticed the difference too.
The one that I took out had no resistance at all when moved by hand.

Which Bilstein shocks did you go with, and how have they performed so far?

There is only one version of Bilstein shocks for this truck.
Three versions makes only KYB one low version pressure/dual tube and two versions high pressure/monotubes (heavy duty and normal).
Personally I have the KYB Gas-A-Just (monotube, normal duty) and the truck feels almost car-like.

On mine, when I was accelerating hard or taking a corner fast, I could feel the rear moving slightly sideways. "Loose" is the closest term. My wife noticed the difference too.
The one that I took out had no resistance at all when moved by hand.

I haven't replaced the axle dampener yet but will when I order shocks for my son's car. The Monroe Magnum one is only $25 - $30.

At the moment my X rocks a bit as if someone is pushing against the rain gutter.
On road cars that I've had that's been associated with wide wheels /tyres.
Is that one of the symptoms of a bad dampener?

Back