• Register Today It's free!

Bilstein Shocks Rock

FirstExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Flower Mound, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4WD
I just test drove my 1991 Explorer XLT 4WD after installing front and rear Bilstein shocks. I bought this truck new in '91 and with these new shocks, this is the best it has ever driven. Tight turns and feel, authoritative steering, no lean, quiet ride, and drives like it's on rails.

There is a good thread on this installation that was very helpful: http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/shocks.html.

The install was a moderate do-it-yourself job.

I highly recommend these Bilsteins. It is true; you get what you pay for, and they are spendy. In this case, they are worth every penny. The ride is sooooo good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put Bilstein 5100's on my Tundra and love them! Definately a nice shock.

I have Bilsteins on my `92 and I LOVE them...they are one the best Suspension mods I have done so far.

Ryan

I have them on my lifted 91 and my stock 04 Ranger (Level II). The ranger get driven a lot on gravel roads. You really appreaciate the Bilstiens in that condition, because they almost never fade. I agree, that as suspension modifications go they are the best bang for the buck.

I've put 100,000 miles on mine and they STILL are firm enough that you feel every imperfection in the road...but soft enough to make for smooth highway driving, and keep it under control off road.

If you think it's great with the shocks though, you should try the Energy Suspension Hyper-Flex poly bushing kit. Combo'd with the shocks, it makes for some incredible handling both on and off road.

If you think it's great with the shocks though, you should try the Energy Suspension Hyper-Flex poly bushing kit. Combo'd with the shocks, it makes for some incredible handling both on and off road.

I bumped this post just to follow up on Anime's comment. I just had these Energy Suspension Hyper-Flex poly bushings installed today. My X now drives like a new truck. It is just amazing how tight and responsive the steering is and combined with the Bilsteins, it is a pleasure to drive again. I highly recommend, if you haven't in awhile, take a look at your front and rear sway bars and check those bushings. Mine were 18 years old and squashed flat. This upgrade was well worth it. BTW, my mechanic crew ended up having to burn out the old originals. Apparantly, the end link bushings are impossible to punch out.

I popped out the end link bushings with a socket and a C-clamp. No sweat.

The hardest bushings to get out, by far, are the leaf spring eyelet, rear frame shackle mount, and axle pivots.

If they installed everything in the kit, congrats, you have probably the best handling Explorer you can get on a budget.

I love my bilsteins! I need them on the back now. I have the 5150's on the front and the front rides better than the rear with the procomp 9000's.

I too mirror everyones opinions on Bilsteins. Now I need to replace lots of old, worn bushings.

I too mirror everyones opinions on Bilsteins. Now I need to replace lots of old, worn bushings.

Since this post, I replaced all the sway bar bushings with Energy Suspension kits and it seemed to really tighten up the tendency to lean in turns. The old originals were in pretty bad shape.

Has anyone put bilstein 5100's on a 91 with a 2" lift? I have been looking forever. ive looked at a lot of threads but i cant seem to find any part numbers? any help? thanks

One quick google search kind of answered your question.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/lifted-truck-off-road/5100-series-ride-height-adjustable.html

5100 series with adjustable height, up to 2.75 inches. Call them up to make sure they will work with your application.

These are dealer contact information, according to the Bilstein website, they do not sell direct to the public.

AFTERMARKET & MOTORSPORTS HEADQUARTERS - WEST
ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America
14102 Stowe Drive
Poway, CA. 92064
1-858-386-5900

AFTERMARKET & MOTORSPORTS – EAST
293 Timber Road
Mooresville, NC. 28115-7868
1-704-663-7563

NORTH AMERICAN HEADQUARTERS
8685 Berk Boulevard
Hamilton, OH 45015

ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER (OEM) PROJECT OFFICE
2075 W. Big Beaver Road, Suite 100
Troy, MI 48084

I have called bilstein and asked them if they could help me find some that would have close valving and fit on my explorer, no one there will help! they just say we don't make them for that vehicle!

try telling them it's a ranger. most places don't exactly agree with lifting/modding explorers. *cough*discount tire*cough*

When I needed shocks for my 91 I called the Cali. shop and talked to Sean Cassat (I think that is is name). He had answers to all my questions.

i have 5100s on my f350. but it has crappy baja claws, leafs, no anti-sway bars and i think the alignments a little off. they came on the truck, so i cant really say if they improved the ride or not lol
good to know without them itd prob ride worse lol

Back