Black Plastic Molding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black Plastic Molding

Nola20

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I posted this under the detailing thread, but did not get any responses. So, I was hoping I could get some feedback if I moved sections. I have a new black Sport & the black door trim molding that is on the bottom of the door is a pain to try & clean. We have had some nasty weather & I was finally able to get out & clean her up. I scrubbed & scrubbed the black plastic molding at the bottom of the door & it still looks like crap (can still see dirt marks). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these pieces clean & looking like new again? Also, any suggestions on what to use for interior & leather cleaner will also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!!! I am going to the store this week to pick up both products.

I posted this under the detailing thread, but did not get any responses. So, I was hoping I could get some feedback if I moved sections. I have a new black Sport & the black door trim molding that is on the bottom of the door is a pain to try & clean. We have had some nasty weather & I was finally able to get out & clean her up. I scrubbed & scrubbed the black plastic molding at the bottom of the door & it still looks like crap (can still see dirt marks). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these pieces clean & looking like new again? Also, any suggestions on what to use for interior & leather cleaner will also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies

Hey Nola20,

Your Owner's Manual gives a list of Ford-approved cleaning products for maintaining your vehicle. In the 3rd printing of the manual, this information starts on page 358. You can download a free copy of your manual here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

I'm sure your Explorer is a beauty when it's all cleaned up! :D

Crystal

No one will believe me, but I've been using it since my 1997 S10, and it works great on all of the black molding on the explorer as well.

Tire Foam (any brand, the cheapest is fine). It's a degreaser w/ protectant, and it will make it look brand new. For tires and wheel wells spray on, and let it run off... for the black molding spray on (use a piece of cardboard to shield the paint from overspray).. leave on for a minute or two, then wipe off with a clean towel.

My explorer was in mud and dirt all last week, I washed and scrubbed as much as I could, but the black molding looked worn and dirty. I tried the trick I used to use on my old truck, low and behold it looks brand new.

I used it on the front bumper, side bottom, wheel well moldings, rear bumper, and top racks.

No one will believe me, but I've been using it since my 1997 S10, and it works great on all of the black molding on the explorer as well.

Tire Foam (any brand, the cheapest is fine). It's a degreaser w/ protectant, and it will make it look brand new. For tires and wheel wells spray on, and let it run off... for the black molding spray on (use a piece of cardboard to shield the paint from overspray).. leave on for a minute or two, then wipe off with a clean towel.

My explorer was in mud and dirt all last week, I washed and scrubbed as much as I could, but the black molding looked worn and dirty. I tried the trick I used to use on my old truck, low and behold it looks brand new.

I used it on the front bumper, side bottom, wheel well moldings, rear bumper, and top racks.

Thank you for this info! I've heard this from a detailer actually but I was kinda skeptical. Now that you've mentioned it here then I will surely try this out! CHEERS! :thumbsup:

Pictures... I cleaned the molding with tire foam last saturday (6 days ago).. The entire car was covered from toe to head in mud prior to cleaning.

molding1.JPG

molding2.JPG

Wow 13Sport looks great! Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try & see how it works. If it would only quit raining for more than 2 days I could get this Sport cleaned up. My next project is fixing the hood. I had a piece of metal gouge the hood & dent it while traveling on the interstate at night. It was not a good sound nor is the gouge. Oh well, I knew it was bound to happen, but just sucks after only a month and a half.

Detailing Questions

What does everyone use to detail and protect the plastic trim pieces around the lower portion of the Explorers? I also want to get some wax on this thing before we take it in the snow in two weeks. I read in the manual that it says to wax with a back and forth motion and not in circles. When did that change? I always go in a circular motion. Was Mr. Miyagi wrong? Back and forth might work better with my messed up rotator cuff though. Maybe it is an ergo thing.

What does everyone use to detail and protect the plastic trim pieces around the lower portion of the Explorers? I also want to get some wax on this thing before we take it in the snow in two weeks. I read in the manual that it says to wax with a back and forth motion and not in circles. When did that change? I always go in a circular motion. Was Mr. Miyagi wrong? Back and forth might work better with my messed up rotator cuff though. Maybe it is an ergo thing.
I have merged your thread with this existing one I found using the Forum's 'Search' function. There were several other threads that came up about washing/waxing as well.

Peter

The “wax back and forth” method is to reduce the potential for swirls from being visible. Most of the time that’s not an issue, but if you have a dark color vehicle, it’s more of a concern as swirls are easier to see. I’ve been doing the back and forth for a while, although my vehicles haven’t been terribly dark in color. I’ve read(on the internet, so it’s true), that you should go back and forth one direction and then again across(90 degrees rotated).

The good thing about circles is that you can force the wax into more nooks and crannies. With back and forth, you’re more limited, which is why the cross pattern is recommended.

If it's not leather, glass, or a painted surface, I use Aerospace Protectant 303. Great on the black plastic, tire dressing and rubber door seals.

I clean leather with Lexol cleaner in the orange bottle.

I condition leather with Lexol in the brown bottle. On my fancy cars I use Zaino Z10 Leather In A Bottle.

I also want to get some wax on this thing before we take it in the snow in two weeks. I read in the manual that it says to wax with a back and forth motion and not in circles. When did that change? I always go in a circular motion. Was Mr. Miyagi wrong? Back and forth might work better with my messed up rotator cuff though. Maybe it is an ergo thing.

Karate Kid made a mean moo shu pork, but didn't know squat about car detailing. The less you touch the paint the better. Move over the surface of painted surfaces the same direction as the air moves over the Explorer.

RejeX would be a great sealant wax for your Explorer.

Thanks for the tips. It just got delivered to the dealer on Thursday and I picked it up Friday. I want to get wax on it to start protecting the paint as soon as I can. I have used Meguire's on my other vehicles. Seems okay? Anyway, it is going to start raining again in a day or two so I want to wash and wax it before the rain comes again. It is already filthy because it started raining as I was inspecting it when I picked it up. I didn't even get one day of having a nice clean new vehicle.

Back