• Register Today It's free!

Blend Door question

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
Ok. I KNOW I need a new blend door, and in fact, have already purchased a kit from NAPA. The problem is, I think that's not the totallity of my HVA/C problems. I have come to realize some things about the blend door and it's orientation.

1) If it's broken, it will swing forwards and backwards depending on inertia.
2) That is, until the blower motor fully kicks in ( I have the Eddie Bower auto climate controls on a "96 Explorer 4WD 4.0L).

If I turn the air on 60 deg. (full A/C) and, as the blower motor reads the interior temp and desides to turn on full blast, I hit the gas, the blend door swings back, giving me A/C though the vents. If I have to slow down while in the early stages of this, I get that awful "THUMP" sound, and you can tell that the blend door just got sucked up against the A/C coil. Here comes the heat. But if all goes right, and I can maintain the steady accelleration, I get A/C.

BUT HOLD ON!!!! ALSO, after I have established my air conditioning successfully, I get another problem. I come to my first traffic light. I stop. As I pull away, and UNTIL I LET OFF THE ACCELLORATOR, I get A/C THROUGH THE DEFROST and ON THE FLOOR.

Is this a second door? what door actually controls air direction, and how do you get to it? The reason I suspect this is because, in my NAPA blend door repair kit, it ain't just a blend door. I won't waist time trying to take pictures of these items, because anybody who knows the answer probably knows exactly what I'm talking about. In the kit, along with the new door, is what I believe to be a metal pattern to cut THE TOP of the HVA/C box (not the bottom, yeah, I know. Rediculous), and a metal patch to go over the hole you just cut, complete with self-adheasive and a hole that fits the diameter of the top of the new blend door. The 2 items are useless unless you are going to pull the dash. BUT, the 4th and final item in the kit may be the answer to my "A/C through the defrost and floor" problem. It is another flapper type door, with rubber outer edges instead of the foam wheather stripping, and 2 of the corners are rounded. There are 2 pivot points, one on top ( I presume its the top ) and one on bottom. One bigger than the other, and they are not at the edge of the door like the blend door, but in the middle. On one side of the door, there is a plastic flange with a hole in it like some sort of actuator rod control point.

Could this door be my second problem? Is there anywhere on God's green earth that one could view an exploded view of the HVA/C pletum so I could wrap my brain around this thing?

Thanks in advance for any help!
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you search you shoudl be able to find plenty of stuff on this problem. I don't have this being as I have a first generation, but my father did and paid out the a$$ to get it fixed at the dealer.

search it, and it will come.

if you search you shoudl be able to find plenty of stuff on this problem. I don't have this being as I have a first generation, but my father did and paid out the a$$ to get it fixed at the dealer.

search it, and it will come.
Yeah, done all that. Read the "sticky" thread on it. Know all about the blend door fixes.

What I don't know is what is going on with the a/c through the defrost thing. I talked with my father today about it who suggested it might be a vacuum problem.

Bump.

I have the same exact truck. Your dad may be right. there is a vacuum line to another motor that controls air to the defrost or panel or floor. I think that second door in the kit is for another truck. There is also a vacuum resivour in the engine compartment. It is located by the air box and is black and the size of a grapefruit. Check to see if it has any deterioration.

You can also pull your evaporator core off from the engine side if you dont want to butcher the box. I did mine that way.

I have the same exact truck. Your dad may be right. there is a vacuum line to another motor that controls air to the defrost or panel or floor. I think that second door in the kit is for another truck. There is also a vacuum resivour in the engine compartment. It is located by the air box and is black and the size of a grapefruit. Check to see if it has any deterioration.

You can also pull your evaporator core off from the engine side if you dont want to butcher the box. I did mine that way.
Thanks so much for the response. I will look into those vacuum lines and canister. Sure would be a help to have a diagram or exploded view of what I am looking for, like what you get to see in the Haynes manual. I find it hard to believe Ford hasen't published such a thing.
Thanks again, eb.

Back