• Register Today It's free!

Blinker Thing

LLSTRIKES96

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Awhile ago I noticed that my top parking light on the right side was out. No big deal, I was gonna replace it when I got a free 10mins. Now it seems that I've developed a little problem. When I turn my right blinker on it has doubled it pace. Usually this means that the bulb is out but to my suprise the bulb works for the blinker but just not with the lights on...? I checked the fuse, it's fine, I just don't really know what it is.

These types of bulbs have two elements (the curly wire that lights up) inside, one for the "marker" function (low brightness, comes on with the lights), and the other for the brake/turn function (high brightness, used for brake and turn signals). What you have is that the marker element is broken, but not the brake/turn element. If you remove the bulb you can probably see that one is broken. I'm not sure why your blinker is working extra fast, one highly speculative idea is that the broken element is resting on the brake/turn element and causing an unusually low resistance path for the turn signal blinker causing the capacitor to drain faster than normal, thus the high-speed blinking. Try replacing the bulb and see if that fixes it.

do any of the parking lights come on in front or is it just that one bulb

blinker problem

I too have this problem. I went as far as replacing both the bulb and the relay, and still have this problem. He is a clue though that I have not persued. When I hook up my trailer lights all lights work perfectly. The blinkers work at normal pace, but once I unhook the trailer lights they all go to hell. Does any one have a clue as to what this might be?

Thank You

Back