• Register Today It's free!

Blower Motor Relay Location

rmorb

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 EB
I have a problem where I turn off the engine and the blower stays on. I know it's the blower because when I pull the fuse (50A) from the relay box under the hood for the blower motor, it stops running.

My only conclusion is that it is probably the blower motor relay which isn't located in the same box as the fuse under the hood. The owner's manual shows it somewhere near the passenger side wheel well but it is very unclear.

Does anyone know how to access this relay?

If I'm way off with my diagnosis, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a link to pics I took of where my Ford manual says the relay is located. It says it is in front of the air cleaner assembly behind the passenger headlight. It doesn't say which one it is but maybe a Ford parts department can tell you with the part numbers provided in the pic. Good luck.

Behind your air cleaner box, next to the blower motor, in what looks like another large black boxy thing. It is located pretty far down and hard to see if you air cleaner box is still on. It has two screws and looks rectangular with a square plug in.

Eddie X, are you posting where yours is located on your 94 Ex.? If so, this is not the same location for the 95 Ex. Just wondering. Some things changed from 94 to 95 as far as where they are located in the engine compartment between those 2 years. f.y.i.

Thanks guys.. I'm going to check it out tonight.

Hi, I looked this up for another guy last week who was curious what these relays are for. The two larger ones are the Blower Motor Relay and the High Speed Blower Motor relay.

In the picture that Mike posted, I think the one on the right is the High Speed Blower relay. Also, I think that they are both the same relay, so you may be able to swap them to try to confirm the problem. The other smaller relay is for the windshield washer motor.

I checked it out last night. The black box I found was pretty close to where you guys described it being. The only problem is that there is only one relay there and it's the one all the way to the left, which was said to be the wiper motor. So the two to the right are totally missing. I have an EB. I don't think that would make a difference. Any other suggestions or am I SOL. BTW, the pics are great. Very helpful.
Thanks again.

Do you have the automatic climate controls or manual dials? If it is auto maybe that is why you don't have them. I can't verify this but that could be why. Can another person with a 95 Eddie B. look into this for him.

Yeah, I have automatic climate control.

My manual is for 97, so they may have changed from 95 to 97. If no one else can find it, I can look up the Auto Climate Control schematic when I get home ~8hrs from now

Sorry for the delay getting back....Remember my schematic is for 97, so some details may be different for 95

The power for the Blower Motor comes from the 50A fuse in the Power Distribution Box (as you said). Ckt 364 (BK/LG) goes to the Blower Motor Relay. The relay should be located in Aux Relay Box #2, which is under the Air Cleaner housing as previously noted. There is a second Ckt 364 with same wire colors (BK/LG) which supplies the coil side of the relay. The power for this circuit comes from a 7.5A mini fuse in the Interior Fuse Panel, fuse #6. This circuit is Hot in Run (powered when key is in run). The two remaining wires on the relay are coil ground Ckt 57 (BK) and the Blower Motor supply Ckt 371 (PK/W). You may be able to identify the relay by looking for the correct combination of wire color codes; 2 wires (BK/LG), 1 wire (PK/W), 1 wire (BK). The BK wire should be grounded on the pass side inner fender (G102)

I believe that your initial diagnosis is correct; you should have no power to the relay (or blower motor) when the key is off.

By the way, there is a second blower for the rear. Power to the rear blower is controlled by a separate relay and fuse

Back