blowing fuses no turn signal and no heater fan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

blowing fuses no turn signal and no heater fan

tlewis

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
You guys have helped me in the past with other problems,I need to call upon your expertise again.
I have a 93 explorer 4x4 with the 4.0 v6. The problem started this past weekend with the fuse blown that handles the turn signals and apparently the blower fan for the heater.I replaced the fuse yesterday and it worked okay for about a 15 min. drive, then blew again. When I got it home I put in yet another fuse and left it running in the driveway with the turn signal on, about 10 minutes later it blew again.Now it blows immidiately when I put a fuse in even with the turn signals off. so since it also evidently handles the blower fan (even though it doesn't say so in the owners guide), I unplugged the blower fan relay and tried again, and it still blows immidiately when the ignition switch is turned on:( The owners guide says the fuse is in the #5 position and handles turn lamps, B/U lamps,(which I assume is back up lamps) turn indicators,(which I assume is the signal lights in the dash) and the DRL module (which I have no assumption what that is)
If any of you guys have any suggestions what I need to check please suggest away. I do have some electrical know-how as far as how switches and relays work, but most of my experience is a/c low volt circuits, but I do have a good multivolt meter. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same problem, fan, revers, turn signals on 1 fuse i just put in some twin 55 watt back up lights every thing worked fine till i had the power from the revers and the toggle hooked up, so now it is only toggle, sorry about that to get to you in mine there was a 15 not a five good luck

Thanks for your reply,yes it is a 15amp fuse,according to the owners guide it is in the #5 position,sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Do any of you guys know what the DRL module is?and maybe how I can check it out?Since it is listed in the guide as being handled by that same fuse.

Thanks,Tony

Running short on fuses!

One way to diagnose a circuit that instantly blows fuses is to replace the fuse with a lamp. I have a lamp cord with two U type wire crimp connectors on it. I cut one side of the U terminal so it will fit in the socket of mini and maxi fuses. A headlight works best for the lamp and this limits current to about 5A maximum. Two lamps would even run a windshild wiper. Most normal circuits draw enough current to cause the lamp to lightly glow. With a long cord, you can place the lamp where you can easily see it and then you can wiggle wires and look for a change in the lamp. With a sensitive digital voltmeter you can even check voltages. Voltage in millivolts gets lover closer to the short.

No experience with this problem but remember someone posting that the turn signal switch cracks and shorts. I would at least try to isolate the wire to the turn signal switch. These problems always give me back problems!

Back