• Register Today It's free!

No Turn Signals

Reaction score
City, State
Howard City, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer SUV 4X4
Hi guys,
All of a sudden I lost my turn signals. I have break, parking and flashers but both signals don't work. Checked fuses in truck and replaced bulbs in the rear still the same. I need help bad. Is it a relay and where would it be on a 1994 Explorer SUV or something else.

Terrie:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be the switch thats not working if the flasher , and fuses are good.

thanks
which switch are you talking about and where is it
thanks again

Swap the flasher between the 4 way flashers and the turn signals as each circuit has its own flasher. The fuse is the 1st thing to go, and the flasher is the 2nd.

~Mark

I'm sorry Maniak but that doesn't make any sense to me

I'm just a woman trying to do my husbands job he is illiterate w/computers and the truck.

You said you have parking lights, and brake lights and flashers. By flashers, I am guessing you mean the hazard lights are working which is when all 4 lights (2 front and 2 rear) flash but when you put on your turn signals, no lights flash.

There are two "flasher" devices on the explorer. One of them makes the turn signals flash while the other one makes the hazards flash.

Since the hazards work, take the two flasher devices that are under the dash and swap them. If the turns signals now work and the hazards don't, then you need to buy a new flasher.

~Mark

Ok sounds good but exactly where are they at and what do they look like

Its been a while since I've been under the dash..

I "think" the turn signal flasher is actually in the fuse panel. Its a round cylinder looking thing and IIRC its about 1.5" across.

That one is somewhat easy to find.. (you already know where the fuses are). The one for the hazards is under the dash and the easiest way to find it is to turn on the hazards and listen/feel for the clicking.

Hopefully someone that has looked at the flashers more recently than me will chime in.

~Mark

that is good and I guess it's too cold to do tonight so maybe we will get some more answers but if that is it which one needs to be replaced?

We are in a blizzard right now.

when you check the fuses also make sure it is the right power rating. the fuse box cover will tell you the proper fuse. also check the owner manual. when i first got my explorer i dint know anything aabout cars took it to a mechanic and my turn signals would only work if i manually clicked them. they sabotaged my fuse!.

im talking about the switch that is attatched to the lever on the turn signals. it might need some dissassembly to check it.

Advance Auto said if it is the switch it cost $129.99 so we are praying it's not. As far as turning the flashers by hand one way or the other it won't do it manually. Nothing lights up inside to indicate a problem. I tested it from outside the vehicle. Have break lights hazard lights and parking lights but no turn signals it won't even light up on outside of vehicle.

thanks I will let you all know tomorrow if that fixed it keep your fingers crossed w/ Christmas coming it would be much cheaper for a flasher fuse

Advance Auto said if it is the switch it cost $129.99 so we are praying it's not. As far as turning the flashers by hand one way or the other it won't do it manually. Nothing lights up inside to indicate a problem. I tested it from outside the vehicle. Have break lights hazard lights and parking lights but no turn signals it won't even light up on outside of vehicle.

If it ends up being the multi function switch, get it from rockauto. Its cheaper and you can get 5% off by using the discount code they post on this forum.

The Chiltons (might be haynes) has instructions on testing that switch, but I doubt it the switch.. It normally gives you other issues first.

~Mark

if its the flasher shouldnt be too bad about 4 bux really. EDIT : since im on the subject for anyone else that has this problem maybe bypass the flasher with a paper clip and see if the light comes on

Hurray Hurray,
Thanks to all who replied to this post. . . it was the flasher thing in the fuse box down by the feet. . . cost $2.00. . . we are soooo happy!!!

Merry Christmas To All!!!!

Terrie

glad we could help.:salute::wavey:

Back