Blowing warm air on drivers side with AC on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blowing warm air on drivers side with AC on

dgmpam

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
2012 Explorer Limited blowing warm air on driver side but cold air on passenger side. Replaced actuator behind glove box but no change. Moved the door manually and still no change. Anyone got any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 Explorer Limited blowing warm air on driver side but cold air on passenger side. Replaced actuator behind glove box but no change. Moved the door manually and still no change. Anyone got any ideas?

You don't state which is wrong. Driver's is hot, passenger's is cold but what are you calling for?? Heat or AC??

There are 4 blend doors in the system, see post 6 for a diagram and post 8 for which one does what.

Heater blowing out top vents

When it is set for heat, the passenger side remains cold.

But when I took the gear from the old actuator and moved the door manually it still gives cold air at all door positions. I took out the cabin filter and I can feel the door position change when I turn the gear. I am looking for post 6 and 8 mentioned by Blownsmoke but haven't found them yet. I am not sure how to access them.

I am looking for post 6 and 8 mentioned by Blownsmoke but haven't found them yet. I am not sure how to access them.
Just click on the link he provided in his post and it will take you to that thread.

Peter

When it is set for heat, the passenger side remains cold.

Perhaps you changed #3 instead of #2. #3 is closest to the air filter and does not control the heat/cold on the passenger side.

The blue words in my post above is the link you need to click on.

Perhaps you changed #3 instead of #2. #3 is closest to the air filter and does not control the heat/cold on the passenger side.

The blue words in my post above is the link you need to click on.
You are exactly right. Once I saw the diagram it was clear what I had done wrong. Peter was correct too that it still looked like an actuator problem. Thanks for all your input and help. I finally got it changed. The one screw was very difficult to get because it was hidden by a plastic box-like structure that appeared to contain some wiring. Finally got it with a universal and mirror. Thanks again.

Dave Marshall

I have this problem when the outside temperature hits between 7C to 0C (45F to 32F). As soon as the temp hits 0C (32F) the heat starts on both sides and stays that way all winter. When spring hits, and the outside temps are above 7C, it starts again ???? I stopped changing blend doors and actuators on this thing (2011). I've given up on it. It's not a drive it till it dies vehicle.

Well not sure exactly what to search here but did find possible actuator issue.
Have a 2014 XLT with dual climate
When I turn the AC on and set the climate to low temp, the passenger side blows cool air but the drivers side blows hot air.
I can change the direction of the air flow but not the temperature of the drivers side.

There has been a couple options one being the glove box but that seemed to be more for issues with the passenger side not working correctly.
The second is behind the steering wheel but that seems to be for vent air flow direction issues.
Another thread mentioned 4 different ones which I can't seem to find.

Is there anyone who has had similar issues that could help narrow / identify which one I need to replace?

Thanks for any help you can offer

I had to change mine today. Based on the DTC code. It is a common failure. I followed this video. Installed the exact part. Not fun.
P/N 604-234 Mfr: Dorman

I had to change mine today. Based on the DTC code. It is a common failure. I followed this video. Installed the exact part. Not fun.
P/N 604-234 Mfr: Dorman

What one did you replace? Did you have the same problem as I am having?
I wasn't sure if I had to replace the driver side? does the passenger side control the tempature for the drivers side? the passenger side is blowing cool air.

I changed the one he changed in the video. Accessed from the glovebox, behind the Sony stereo.

I changed the one he changed in the video. Accessed from the glovebox, behind the Sony stereo.

What was your issue? just trying to narrow down what I have to change. thanks

AC worked fine. Has not been cold enough to turn on the heat.
I found a DTC code while programming with FORscan:
Code: B1086 - Air Distribution Damper Motor

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Mechanical Failures

Others that have had that code reported similar issue when using the heat- warm on the driver side but cold on the passenger.

I had warm blowing on the passenger side and changed that one too to fix the problem. Not an easy task to say the least.

Similar to the water pump this is another example of low-cost part where the labor to replace it is probably 10-20 times the cost of the part.

Oddest thing I have ever noticed with my Explorer.... with the AC on at full-blast - the driver side vented air is nice and cool as it should be, on the passenger side it is so hot that the portion of the vent that is metal-wrapped is too hot to touch. This just started happening recently. Any ideas how this could happen?

Oddest thing I have ever noticed with my Explorer.... with the AC on at full-blast - the driver side vented air is nice and cool as it should be, on the passenger side it is so hot that the portion of the vent that is metal-wrapped is too hot to touch. This just started happening recently. Any ideas how this could happen?
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature.
There are other threads on this as well. It is likely an issue with a blend door or its actualtor.

Peter

Back