• Register Today It's free!

Blown Head Gasket V8

powderworks

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
A dealer has a 2002 V8 Explorer 70,000 ks Which he says has a blown head gasket

Is replacing a head gasket a big deal ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OH yea....its a BIG deal.

I blew my head gaskets on my 94 mustang(v6), and the ford dealership wanted $2200!!!!
The mechanic told me If im going to pay that, i might as well just buy an engine from them instead for like $3000!!!

But i did the headgaskets myself with my dad....its NOT DIFFICULT...however you HAVE to know what you're doing.
It just takes along time to do...

You MUST have Torque Specs from the dealership for...
-Cylinder Head bolts
-Intake Manifold bolts
-maybe a few other things...

I wouldnt get the specs from Haynes Manual or Chiltons....sometimes they ARENT up to date!(this was the case with my mustang)

Goto Ford dealership or Merc dealer and DEMAND the torque specs be written down for you...they legally have to hand them over.
(especially if there was a recall)

-----
Ok enough blabbering...

You basically have to take EVERYTHING off the engine down to the Engine Block.
(all wiring and sensors in the way, throttle, all coolant hoses, lower intake manifold and upper intake manifold, valve covers, cylinder heads,etc.)

If you've never done it before, i wouldnt attempt it....snag a couple buddies to help you!

If you've got a few buddies to help its not THAT bad....it just takes alot of time dissasembling crap.....

Luckily the 02's have a very wide flat engine on top, so it actually could be PRETTY easy im thinking.....

Be carefull that this is not a cracked head (depending on symptoms - these two issues can be confused for one another). Cracked heads = same amount of labour but a lot more material $$$ cause you would want new heads.

Be carefull that this is not a cracked head (depending on symptoms - these two issues can be confused for one another). Cracked heads = same amount of labour but a lot more material $$$ cause you would want new heads.

Yep, watch out for cracks if you ever take the head apart.

Usually you tend to get SUPER thin hairline cracks running from the water jacket (coolant passages) down to near the bottom of the valve areas...so when the engine has warmed up, theres enough heat to cause expansion in the metal, and the coolant creeps it's way down into the cylinders or other areas causing overheating.

Alot of people are quick to blame Gaskets...but cylinder heads can defiantely crack.

I had a close call on my mustang, we took the cylinder heads off, and didnt notice any damage to the gaskets.....then we look at the cylinder heads and noticed Thin marks......we assumed they were cracks...so we took em to the machine shop, and the guy told us they werent cracked, those were just gasket marks that formed over the years, and that they wont come off unless you soak the heads in acid or whatever chemical bath he uses on them.

Upon more studying of the gaskets, we learned there WAS a leak-path in the gaskets, we just didn't see it the first time somehow....

So also beware of "Fake" cracks too.......just for info....

Step away from the vehicle...

seriously! I agree with above post 2002 is first year of new platform, with 70K kilometers its already been overheated. I have heard the 02 radiators have big problems, maybe that is why this sucker was overheated?

Without taking the heads off the dealer does not know if it is a gasket or head, or both heads, or if there is more damange internally, if a cyl filled with water, there could be alot more damage then a gasket!!

basically if you are prepared to replace the ENGINE and still think its a good price, go for it!!

Back