• Register Today It's free!

body lift for '97 x

med

Reaction score
City, State
hope, ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 X xlt 4x
i've recently bought my first explorer and i'm wanting to lift it. i'm only planning to run a 31x10.50 so i dont need alot of clearance but i want it to look lifted. i've done the tt on a past ranger and i dont care for that rough ride. i've been thinking of maybe just a 3" bl but through my many searches the thought of rigging my steering has me kinda spooked on the idea. would the 2"lift give plenty of clearance or would the fender wells still be kinda full? i found a pick of section525's ride. in the pic shown he says it has a tt and shackles w/ 31's. would my '97 look about the same w/ a 2" lift?

thanks-
med

1009.jpg
section525's 1996 with tt/shackles w/ 31's

31s will fit on a stock second gen... a 3" bl doesnt need to be rigged you just need to add the steering extension... you use the 3" ranger kit and modify or make your own bumper brackets.....

GJarrett said:
The biggest difference between the 3" lift and the 2" is the fact that the 3" lift will require you to use some sort of steering extension on your steering column. Of course the one supplied with the Ranger kit doesn't work for the Explorer. You can try to install it and note that it is slightly too small to use on your Explorer. Spending awhile carefully grinding out the interior with a miniature dremel tool will usually help get it on your Explorer. That's what Gofast and I did for Sinjin.

That worked for a few months, but after taking it to the CCR2000 run and a few local runs to the Slabs in Texas, Sinjin's jury-rigged aluminum extension started wallowing out and he ended up with binding. So all that work carefully dremeling and modifying that extension proved to be only a temporary fix. Sinjin is currently the guinea pig for Flaming River's new steering shaft. They are not cheap. When deciding on whether you want that extra inch of lift, factor into your budget the possibility that you may be a future Flaming River customer

i read in a thread to check out this guys page because he has a good write-up on a body lift. thus my hesitation for the 3".

med

read in all the threads here about the bodylift... the 3" ranger one does work... there are tons of threads about it here....

Back