• Register Today It's free!

Body lift questions

Sbyrne97

Reaction score
City, State
Mason Neck, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Mountaineer
Hi I'm about to do the 3" BL in a week on a 97 mountaineer to put on my 33" BFG MT

I have spent the past week looking at shadowravens writeup and mudmarines writeup along with reading the guide inside the kit

I just have a few final questions...just to clear up

The front mounts are supposed to be a huge PITA and most are not reused
I heard you can get a bolt and washer to replace it is this correct and what length is required?

The front pucks also have to be drilled out correct?

Bolts need to be bought from a hardware store correct? I just want to make sure there used in the front mounts behind the seats?

Are all the original nuts used?

I heard some trouble with the shift linkage cable...is this a major problem? and what do you do if you run into it?

Finally, if you all have any other advice/things that I might have missed it would be greatly appreciated

I will another person (along with myself) working on this so I have a hand...

Want to say thank you to all you guys...you have gave me the confidence to tackle this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi I'm about to do the 3" BL in a week on a 97 mountaineer to put on my 33" BFG MT

I have spent the past week looking at shadowravens writeup and mudmarines writeup along with reading the guide inside the kit

I just have a few final questions...just to clear up

The front mounts are supposed to be a huge PITA and most are not reused
I heard you can get a bolt and washer to replace it is this correct and what length is required?

The front pucks also have to be drilled out correct?

Bolts need to be bought from a hardware store correct? I just want to make sure there used in the front mounts behind the seats?

Are all the original nuts used?

I heard some trouble with the shift linkage cable...is this a major problem? and what do you do if you run into it?

Finally, if you all have any other advice/things that I might have missed it would be greatly appreciated

I will another person (along with myself) working on this so I have a hand...

Want to say thank you to all you guys...you have gave me the confidence to tackle this

When we did it on my old 97. We did drill out the front ones and used the bolts in the kit. In the event you do need to get bolts, get grade 8 ones. Start spraying the mounts with PB blaster every day until the day you do the body lift. Also long extension plus impact tools will help. Don't forget to get your bumper brackets made since the ones in the 853 kit do not work cause they were originally designed for the Ranger. Should be no problems with the shift linkage.. Some have had problems with the steering extension, you may need to grab a grinder/stone and cut any burrs off the extension. Oh yea for the front ones a good set of vice grips will help.

already started with the PB blaster
friend is bringing the electric impact...will ask if he has extensions
bumper brackets are not a big deal as of now

as for the steering extensions...can you elaborate jsut a little bit

Sometimes during the manufacturing process there are burrs on the steering extension that causes the extension not to fit nicely on the steering assembly.. I had that issue on my old 97.. We had to use a flap disc to grind a little of the excess material for fitment but I suspect most people won't have that issue..

Cool thanks for all your help and fast too!!! will post pictures in my follow up thread when its done

If anyone else wants to add there two cents it would be greatly appreciated

bump..

Back