• Register Today It's free!

Borla/flowmaster/magnaflow...

explorinVA

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'm looking for a good cat-back system for my 96' EB X. I want something that sounds the best with the best performance. I am looking at Gibson, Borla, Flowmaster, and Magnaflow, which one is best?? or are any better than the others??? Thanks

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a flowmaster 50 series? think that's what I have on my 93, it sounds awesome, I've had several people come up and ask me if I had swapped a V8 in. Also the performance increase was very noticeable as soon as I turned onto the main road after I got it installed. One of the best priced mufflers too
Price was $113 after tax for the whole cat back larger pipes, muffler and installation

- '93 Sport 4x2
3" coils 2" shackles
31x10.5 BFG AT/KO's

I've never heard a Magnaflow sound before but between Flowmaster and Borla, I'd say Flowmaster hands down. You like loud? Get 40 series. Otherwise, 50's are just about right.

Pick the muffler of your choice then go to your local muffler shop and have them make a custom cat back for you' this way you will have welded joints.

Good luck.....

My vote is for the Flowmaster 50 series SUV. Have one on the X and it sounds so nice.

Well, since I'm probably the outcast here, I'll give my input.

I have Flowmaster and Magnaflow both now. The flowmaster was a nice deep rumble throughout the entire driving range. 40 series is mega loud, 50 series is a little more mellow. If you want something that'll set off car alarms and get people to turn heads, run a 40.

If you want something that sounds mean but not as aggressive, go to a 50. The 50 is more of a deep sound (gets rid of the high pitched sounds).

Another thing you can do if you want to cancel some of the interior noise and cancel some more noise is to get one with Delta Flow.

And now for magnaflow. This is what I've got on my current ride. I like it the best because its right in the middle. At idle and slow cruising speeds its a real deep rumble. When you are just cruising, not giving it much gas its more of a gentle sound. Often times you can't hear it at all when cruising city streets not accelerating. The cool thing is, the more gas you give it, the more noise you get. At full Throttle it sounds like a straight race car.

Also, I had a noticeable gas mileage increase with the Magnaflow too (about 5 mpg on the freeway, about 2 in the city). The biggest difference is that Flowmaster still has chambers that somewhat restrict airflow. The magnaflow is a straight through muffler with fiberglass packing to get rid of some of the noise.

It were me, I'd go Magnaflow again, hands down. But I also like a more mellow sounding vehicle (except for when I really get on it). But, its all about what you want.

40 series Flowmaster for that Loud Booming sound all the time.
50 series Flowmaster for that low, deep sound.
Magnaflow is probably something in the middle.

Hope this helps man.

Flowmaster!!!!! :D The 50 series is great. Go with that one.

I remember when I set off my first car alarm with my 50 series, lost count a few weeks later :p ...btw like someone else said here, get the shop to fab the pipes, it's cheaper and will be better since they are welded together instead of fitted.

Brandon1993Sport said:
I remember when I set off my first car alarm with my 50 series, lost count a few weeks later :p ...btw like someone else said here, get the shop to fab the pipes, it's cheaper and will be better since they are welded together instead of fitted.

:eek: Holy crap man you set off a car alarm w/ a 50 series?!?!?! My 50 Series isn't near loud enough to set off a car alarm. Oh by the way, I also have a state-of-the-art Palm on Window rolling mechanism :D

GIBSON!! Sounds great and I've gotten many compliments...the tip looks really good too ;) It's also quiet in the cabin compared to many other exhausts and it doenst have an annoying drone.

Dad's got a Gibson on his 5.0 Mounty and loves it ~ sounds great

I've got a Magnaflow 2.5" + resonator (required for SOHC if you don't like drone induced headaches) on my Sport

If i were to do it over again, I'd probably go with the flowie 50 series

Brandoncctx said:
Price was $113 after tax for the whole cat back larger pipes, muffler and installation

Where did u get your 50 series and how much for the 4x4 '93 Ex?

I agree with the opinions of the Magnaflow, I have one that was put on for $230 with muffler and piping from the cat back.

I have the Flowmaster Force II cat back system. It's fine for me. Sounds ok. Not too loud. I had one on the sport I had & put another on my current XLT. That comes with a 50 series. Best of all it fit like a glove. No fabing needed, no brackets or hangers, & the shop that put it in welded the pipes. I had a 40 series on my Bronco II & that was a bit too loud for me.

Holy crap man you set off a car alarm w/ a 50 series?!?!?! My 50 Series isn't near loud enough to set off a car alarm. Oh by the way, I also have a state-of-the-art Palm on Window rolling mechanism

Yeah it's really as loud as a V6 can get without ripping the muffler completely out, alarms chirp just when I turn it on. :chug: on the window =p

Where did u get your 50 series and how much for the 4x4 '93 Ex?

Just got it at a local muffler shop and had them install it and fab 2.5" pipes for it. Was around $113 for the muffler, pipes, chrome tip and labor. Don't get a magnaflow :nono:

I've had both a Flowmaster 40 and a Magnaflow(what I have currently). I would go with the Magnaflow. Flows great with a good sound to it. I prefer it to the Flowmaster as it doesn't resonate as much. One of my buddies had a Gibson system on his 97 and it was really nice. Quiter than the Flow or Magnaflow, but a good performance increaser. Good luck.

Since you brought up performance, What would you say had a better performance (not sound), flowmaster, gibson, magnaflow?

I would say that between the (2) Flowmasters and the (1) Magnaflow that I got the most performance gains overall from the Magnaflow. But, the other thing to keep in mind is the 40 Series was on a 3.0 V6, the 50 w/ Delta was on a 4.0 SOHC and the Magnaflow was on a 5.0 v8.

With that said, I would still say the Magnaflow has the most performance gains in the mid to upper range because of its straight through design as opposed to the chamber design of the Flowmaster.

How do all of these compare to a glasspack or cherrybomb? When I bought my X the muffler had a hole in it so I just slapped on a cherry bomb. I like it but how do the other compare sound and performance wise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dan, if you're looking for performance, don't forget the Hooker Aero Chamber.Aero Chamber Muffler It gave me a very noticeable increase in low end torque, and about 1-2 more mpg around town. (I'm looking for even more on trips).

It has a nice sounding low burble upon accelleration, but it's not loud at all. If you want loud, this muffler isn't for you. But if you're looking for performance you might want to consider it.....

Back