Boxing the rear frame

RFR2212

Typing Police
Reaction score
City, State
In the mug by Chitown
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 JEEP Wrangler
Now, here is my question. On my 94, I wanna know about boxing a short section of the rear frame. I'm aware that the frames are heat treated, and welding to them can weaken em. But, since I would be adding bracing, would that make up, if not strenghten it? I enjoy towhooks and all, but in the rear I'd love to install some huge ass tough clevis'. I wanna add one to each side and the pin is 15/16's of an inch. so bout 1in and I don't wanna drill out 1in of metal on the frame with out reinforcing it. Also, since the frame is C like now, there would be a very little contact point for the clevis, and by boxin the frame, it would distribute weight on the frame and clevis better.

Anyone sure if just welding in some 1/4in steel about 3-4in long to the frame would be bad?

Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pete- in my humble opinion, and others may vary, I don't think you will create a problem doing what little welding you describe. But if you are still hesitant how about desigining something that bolts on to the frame with some Grade 8 bolts? With a little thought I'm sure you could come up with something that is hella strong and would require no welding. Richard

I dont think welding to the frame would be that bad either. When you weld make sure to have the ground close to where you are welding and disconnect your battery. Also you should stitch weld the plate in there so you dont warp the frame any.

Have you thought about cutting a hole in the rear bumper and running a big fat piece of bar stock through the hole to the frame? bolt it to the frame and then you can have your d-ring coming out of the back bumper instead of under it.

Thanks guys.. Problem w/ cutting a hole in the rear bumper is that the tire carrier would hit it because it spans the stock bumper over the course of the whole frame section.... I got a few more ideas that I may look at
Pete

Pete just BOB it and be done with the whole rear of the truck :)

Isn't BOB a cool word. I just like to say it BOB BOB BOB BOB :bounce: :rolleyes:

Bobbing an x would kick ass!! anybody seen it done have pics? i always wanted to chop the top, then bob the rear and add one of those angled pre-runner type tire carriers. it would look PHAT!! adobe here i come

Hell, for that just get an supercab Ranger and chop the tail off.

oooooooo ooo get a supercab body and put it on an X chassis! that would kick ass!!!

Back