brake bleed problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brake bleed problem

Mpolski

Reaction score
When I bleed the brakes I still have a low pedal. Tried a power bleeder with no luck. Brakes stop and don't fade but can't get the pedal up. IS there anything else I should be taking into consideration when bleeding the brakes on this system? BTW vehicle is a 98' eddie bauer with the 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what caused the spongy brakes to begin with...?
did you replace calipers or something?

also, when bleeding, sometimes you do need to smack the caliper to get any trapped air out. Take a rubber mallet and beat on the caliper a bit with the valve open, and pressure applied with your power bleeder.

I had to do this when I replaced my front calipers.

Problem caused from blown brake line. Till then brakes were fine. When i bleed fluid stream is clean and strong with no evidence of air. Think it could be the master or maybe the vac assist line.

Problem caused from blown brake line. Till then brakes were fine. When i bleed fluid stream is clean and strong with no evidence of air. Think it could be the master or maybe the vac assist line.

like I said, when I replaced my front calipers, I kept bleeding them with a power bleeder and it appeared I got all the air out; but I still had spongy brakes.

Once I bled them, and tapped on the calipers with a rubber mallet while bleeding, I saw more air escape.

Then my brakes were good again.

atleast, that's what I would try first.

Although yes, it is possible there's air trapped in the master cylinder and it may need a bench bleeding, or replacement.

You have not yet gotten all the air out of the lines.. If you had a line blow, there is tons of air in the system.

You need to bleed the system correctly. Rear Passenger, Rear Driver, Front Passenger, Front Driver, in that order.

As suggested, IF you didn't "exercise" your ABS system, it is your bleed procedure is "inadequate" for ABS based system especially if you had a "major system intrusion".

well... based on readings and "some experience".... you bleed "major up front" components first... usually not connected to lines.... then you follow the "rears... then front thing". I haven't had to do anything on my 96 as I haven't had any major "incursion of air" but general searches appear to indicate that you need to get air out of the HCU by running the motor with a scan tool.

Back