Brake Expectations

nolimitssjca

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT, 96 XLT, 97 Mounty
Brake Expectations

I had an experience recently that got me to thinking about my brakes. I had to make an emergency stop that didn't leave me feeling very good about the brakes. I had a similar experience several years ago in my other Ex with the same results.

I have read numerous posts about bleeding brakes, leaking master cylinders, and so on and so on. What I haven't seen is what my 60-0 mph stopping distance should be. So what I don't know is if my performance is normal or not.

I was thinking if we all did this test (find a place you can measure your 60-0 mph stopping distance) and posted our results here, we could all get a better idea of how "normal" our brakes are.

To measure our results we need to make sure that we all do 60-0 mph . Make 3 passes. Post the gen of Explorer or Mounty you have, and if it's 4WD, AWD, 2WD, 4dr or Sport. This should give us relative comaprison information.

Perhaps we can figure out a way to put it into a poll.

The test device for that is the hard part. I have a VC2000, which requires a test to begin from a stop. I have tested several times, before and after my custom brakes. My VC2000 requires a run up to at least 60mph, then the transition of slamming on the brakes. The new type of testers available now would be much better to test brakes.

I have heavy 18" wheels and tires, so as stock my brakes weren't great. I recall numbers like 160-170 feet to stop from close to 60mph. With my big brakes I need something like 130-140 feet to stop now from 60mph. That isn't magical, lots of stock vehicles do better than that, but it's much better than before. Good luck,

I love the idea. What makes me nervous is learing that I have to replace something else after I hit the brakes that hard. lol. Although, I guess it would be better to find out this way rather than in an emergency situation.

Now the task is to figure out where I can go 60-0 safely. And, I don't have anything hi-tech to measure, but I've got a few 25 foot tape measures!

I like the idea. I would be interesting to see the results.

Seawoody, I live in the middle of 8 million people. I need to be creative about where I can do this too. I figure an orange cone as my start spot and then I can measure with my 25 foot tape. I just want to know if I have a problem that needs to be fixed or not.

Back